Virtual column in spreadsheet

Can I get advise about my issue.
Before two days I posted about virtual column my post was(How can I make VC appeared in spreadsheet).
I used VC to extract URL for image capture in my app.
I used VC because I tried generate normal column for URL but got error when opened url.
Thanks

Solved Solved
0 6 718
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The reason "add data" is a problem is that raw URLs cannot have literal spaces in them. The URL ends at character immediately prior to the space; everything from the space forward is ignored entirely.

The ENCODEURL() function exists specifically to protect characters in arbitrary text from interfering with the interpretation of the URL.

Generally speaking, ENCODEURL() should be used around any component of a constructed URL that comes from user-input data.

The space in "add data" will be replaced with its encoded value, %20, producing add%20data in the constructed URL.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You are not providing enough detail for us to help you.

When requesting help about a virtual column, please provide the app formula the column uses, describe the result it produces, and what you want the result to be.

When requesting help with an error, please provide the exact text of the error message or a screenshot.

Thank you.
The issue is ( I add column to record url for images which capture in app) and tried this expression

But the result I got url in spreadsheet when I try to open link I got error as shown in image.
So I tried to create virtual column and used same last expression, the result right url but the problem is VC wonโ€™t appear in spreadsheet.

@Fouad_H_Saad1 - I canโ€™t really check this well on my iPhone, but since your error ends at โ€œaddโ€, I would check closely the ,โ€add dataโ€, section. Is there a missing & here? Is this a variable? Or do you need to double quote it so you are โ€œescapingโ€ the quotes - eg: โ€œโ€˜add dataโ€™โ€. May not be the issue but I would confirm this is right

2X_5_56541dd124e58acc66f738f87b73cca805a8498e.jpeg

The reason "add data" is a problem is that raw URLs cannot have literal spaces in them. The URL ends at character immediately prior to the space; everything from the space forward is ignored entirely.

The ENCODEURL() function exists specifically to protect characters in arbitrary text from interfering with the interpretation of the URL.

Generally speaking, ENCODEURL() should be used around any component of a constructed URL that comes from user-input data.

The space in "add data" will be replaced with its encoded value, %20, producing add%20data in the constructed URL.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

Remove the SUBSTITUTE() function entirely. Also, wrap "add data" and [property image] with ENCODEURL():

CONCATENATE(
  โ€œhttps://www.appsheet.com/template/gettablefileurl?appName=",
  โ€œMOLSAproperty2-974430โ€,
  "&tableName=",
  ENCODEURL("add dataโ€),
  "&fileName=",
  ENCODEURL([property image])
)

I will try the expression.
Thank you and appreciate.

Top Labels in this Space