What could cause AppSheet to generate a duplicate UNIQUEID()

I have a table where I need to ensure AppSheet generates a unique id so I'm currently using UNIQUEID in the initial value for the id column and setting it to the key. 

Does AppSheet consider the data in the table somehow to create a UNIQUEID()? What could cause a duplicate UNIQUEID() in a table? I'm needing to ensure the client of the UNIQUEID as the data flows into another inhouse system that requires the UNIQUE identifier.

Solved Solved
0 5 193
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

No it does not. 

With you UNIQUEID() you have less than a 1 in 4 billion chance of encountering a duplicate ID, this is pseudo-impossible. 

If for some reason you think this is not enough, you can use UNIQUEID() & UNIQUEID(), so you'll have less than a 1 in 18 billions billion chance of encountering a duplicate ID. 

View solution in original post

Thanks @Steve I forgot about that.. never actually used it.

@Daisy_Ramirez You can use UNIQUEID("UUID"), for even bigger ID space. It is immensely huge beyond what a human brain can actually captualize; you'd have more possible combinations than 5 followed by 36 zeros. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

No it does not. 

With you UNIQUEID() you have less than a 1 in 4 billion chance of encountering a duplicate ID, this is pseudo-impossible. 

If for some reason you think this is not enough, you can use UNIQUEID() & UNIQUEID(), so you'll have less than a 1 in 18 billions billion chance of encountering a duplicate ID. 

Thanks Joseph

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

UNIQUEID("UUID")
UNIQUEID() - AppSheet Help

Thanks @Steve I forgot about that.. never actually used it.

@Daisy_Ramirez You can use UNIQUEID("UUID"), for even bigger ID space. It is immensely huge beyond what a human brain can actually captualize; you'd have more possible combinations than 5 followed by 36 zeros. 

Thanks so much Joseph & Steve.  Reviewing with client today 🙂

Top Labels in this Space