What dose this error message suggest? "A cycle is detected in the component"

One of my tables starts to show a Warning as below.

A cycle is detected in the component. This can result in undefined and erroneous behavior. It will eventually be marked as an error.

ใ‚นใ‚ฏใƒชใƒผใƒณใ‚ทใƒงใƒƒใƒˆ 2023-01-28 7.54.18.pngใ‚นใ‚ฏใƒชใƒผใƒณใ‚ทใƒงใƒƒใƒˆ 2023-01-28 8.02.35.png

Is this means some expression has "circular reference" like excel?
๏ผˆalthough I certainly haven't touched the table or its expression when the warning appeared๏ผ‰

Thank you for your all advice.

Solved Solved
3 24 1,443
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you for this discussion! 

Cycle expressions are being flagged as of the December 6, 2022 release, and in security filters with the January 28, 2023 release.

@poy for visibility

View solution in original post

Hi @nkadonaga 

The problem has been resolved.
I have not changed the Security filter settings, but I believe that the platform fixed the problem as it was recovered. However, I still do not understand exactly what caused the problem.
Hopefully the cause will be explained in the release notes.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

That's interesting just received the error as well on a single table. I have a security filter in place too.

Daisy_Ramirez_0-1674864045094.png

Same here

jyothis_m_0-1674879036189.png

Is this because of something newly added?

I have it too, also on a table with a security filter in place .

Same Error here, out of nowhere
"A cycle is detected in the component. This can result in undefined and erroneous behavior. It will eventually be marked as an error."

I'm also getting this weird warning - did not change anything 

@llynch Madam, is this error because of any new update or change made by Appsheet team

Got the same error as well - completely out of the blue.  Have not changed anything and it shows up on only one table in spite of using the same security filter on multiple other tables.

Also noticed another weird behavior.  The interactive mode on the dashboard has stopped working.

I also have this message on of my table... and security filter is the same of another table wich its have no message?!....

Thanks advance for the answers

I have two very similar apps and they both have this issue displaying, but on different security filters. I'm hoping that there is an issue with the evaluation process rather than our apps.

Seems related to the discussion about circular references that followed the December 6, 2022 - Google Cloud Community release notes. See @poy's comments there.

It also seems like there may be some false positives in the warning's logic since my observation is that security filters that involve a circular reference result in an app not loading, even though AppSheet has not previously flagged that error for app creators.

Also, in one of my apps, the warning just appeared for a column that has an intentionally circular reference in its Editable? property. I hope that doesn't ultimately become deemed an error that prevents an app from loading.

Having this issue today with one of my app?

The ability to warn of circular references would be useful.
However, the logic of this feature may not be sufficient at present.

Because I have confirmed the following phenomena in my application where this warning is occurring.

* This warning occurs even when only NC (Normal column) is used in Security filter.
* If I set the Security filter to NULL, the warning disappears.

If it is a VC circular reference issue, I think the warnings should keep showing up anyway.
However, since that is not the case, I believe there is room for improvement in the logic.

2023-01-30_17-27-10.png

โ€ƒ

2023-01-30_17-27-39.png

โ€ƒ

Hi @takuya_miyai -- this looks like it could be a mistake on our end. If you haven't already, can you open a ticket via https://support.google.com/appsheet/gethelp and provide the details of your app so we can investigate? Thank you!

Hi @nkadonaga 

I had not yet contacted support, so I will discuss this with them.

However, I find it very painful to contact the current AppSheet support for such a puzzling phenomenon.
The current level of AppSheet support is so low that it is not a place for me to consult, but a place for me to explain AppSheet's specifications to Google support member.

I don't understand why I have to do such work while paying the license fee.

It is currently being commented in various places in this community, but Google should fundamentally review its support system.

Hi @nkadonaga 

The problem has been resolved.
I have not changed the Security filter settings, but I believe that the platform fixed the problem as it was recovered. However, I still do not understand exactly what caused the problem.
Hopefully the cause will be explained in the release notes.

Thank you for this discussion! 

Cycle expressions are being flagged as of the December 6, 2022 release, and in security filters with the January 28, 2023 release.

@poy for visibility

I don't yet understand what's circular in my apps , but I will keep trying.

It only  flags one table , in any of my apps with security filters, even if I have multiple tables with similar security filter.

The one in the photo is a physical column , autocalculated with an appsheet formula on row adding (numer of working days between two given dates,minus bank holidays etc).

Screenshot_20230130-173741.png

โ€ƒedit : the formula is not flagged, only the security filter is flagged

I removed the security filter from my table in the above photo, and it still did't flagged the column formula. Instead , it flagged another table in app. I put the security filter formula back in first table, and it reflagged it , while removing it from the "another" table.

So I can conclude so far it only flags one table per app. Still don't know the flag reason

Same here - no idea what is the reason

I am not able to figure out why would the security filter on a normal physical column would be flagged as circular reference.  Another thing is that I have this same filter on other tables, but those have not been flagged as circular reference

This is the filter I am using:
if(in(useremail(), select(superuser[user id], true)), true, [user id] = useremail())

Perhaps it's somehow confusing columns with similar names? I have [ziLE cal] and [ziua cal] , also [user] and useremail in others.

Or with the columns marked as "this expression could impact performance" .

Can't yet find another common nominator 

Happy to report that for me the circular reference warning has automagically disappeared.  Thank you Thank you AppSheet.

Same here, just now.

Thank you Appsheet

Top Labels in this Space