What kinds of docs are supported by a file collumn?

I have a column to upload financials vouchers, some of them is images and others PDFs
They can be uploaded on the same field? I wanna be sure about it cause already tryed upload images from desktop on file fields and aparently it does work, but some users told me that thet aren't able to choose images for file fields.
I don't wanna have one field for each type of document

Solved Solved
0 17 312
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Afaik, iOS has some limitations to the way you access files in the device

View solution in original post

Guys, I think I found the answer! The images that load correctly were PNG or JPEG type, but when I tried to load an image from iphone source that is HEIF type the image gets error.

Does this check? Appsheet doesn't support images HEIF type?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

This article might help.  Take a look at the Content types.

EDITED:  This one too ... maybe?

Thank you, I'll read both!!

I'd say you can upload basically anyfile on File columns.
When I open my file selector it doesn't limit which filetype I should select

Where from are you opening? When I open from android and desktop its really let me input anyfile, but from iOS doesn't. Do you have any idea of why does it happens? And if there is some way to solve it?

Afaik, iOS has some limitations to the way you access files in the device

Absolutely! I will instruct the user to send it from the computer. Thaks for the answers!

@Mรดnica What specific file types are users interacting with in iOS? As noted in the provided article,  they should, in a "File" type column, be able to attach any common image files, PDF's, Text and maybe sound and video files.

• "Image" type columns will search the camera roll on the device.
  • "File" type columns will search the file list

Camera Roll open when tapping on an "Image" column to add an image

IMG_242F6046E7D4-1.jpeg

File Navigation service opens when tapping on a "File" type column

NOTE: By design, only certain files can be selected.  Bottom right file is disabled - a Keynote file.

IMG_20D3CE1BA331-1.jpeg

Hmmm, I get it! Looks like the user has to save images to files to be able to localize it, I made some tests and get this error: 

Mnica_0-1665065928203.png

What's the maximum size for upload?

Maximum size to upload has been hard to get a clear answer on.  I think in part because it is limited by the platform you are uploading to.

Since it looks like you are uploading an image using an Image type column, try lowering the "Image upload size" property to see if that helps in getting the image through.Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.58.02 AM.png

Since it looks like you are uploading an image using an Image type column, try lowering the "Image upload size" property to see if that helps in getting the image through.

I'm uploading an image using a File type column.

Hmm, i suppose AppSheet could be detecting its an image file by the type which results in the error message you provided.

I would still try the setting to see if it makes a difference.  Maybe they also apply it to images uploaded in a File column. Do you know the size of that image?  Or what properties were used to take the photo with the device?  I can try testing out a few things on my end.

I tried the setting but still doesn't work.
The image has 2,7 MB, what do you mean with properties used?
Maybe this print could help

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-06 at 13.51.03.jpeg

Also I tried with a smaller image, 27 KB and it works.

Guys, I think I found the answer! The images that load correctly were PNG or JPEG type, but when I tried to load an image from iphone source that is HEIF type the image gets error.

Does this check? Appsheet doesn't support images HEIF type?

Yes, that is correct.  HEIF is not widely supported anywhere yet, at least last I checked, which is probably why AppSheet is not supporting it.  This was one of my thoughts when I asked about properties.

I did play a bit with trying to upload images from an iPhone using a File type column.  I couldn't even access the camera roll.  Not sure how you were doing it.  To upload an image captured from the device I had to physically move it to a folder that I could then access with the Browse option.

However, I couldn't upload images this way at all.  Upon save, the app would get "stuck" and not push the edit through.  When I tapped Sync, I would get the error message in the image below.  

I could upload these same images using an Image column with no issues.

What is more puzzling to me is the difference in behavior.  I do have the latest iOS (on an iPhone 7) and the latest AppSheet.  Please make sure you do as well in case the behavior changes on you.

IMG_13A6CD2EDAC5-1.jpeg

I couldn't even access the camera roll.  Not sure how you were doing it.  To upload an image captured from the device I had to physically move it to a folder that I could then access with the Browse option.

However, I couldn't upload images this way at all.  Upon save, the app would get "stuck" and not push the edit through.  When I tapped Sync, I would get the error message in the image below.  

IMG_13A6CD2EDAC5-1.jpeg

I did the same thing to access the images, physically moving it to a folder on "Files". When the bot that concatenate the URL run, the sync fail and we get the error.

We have no intention of changing the column type so I think it's "better" for the user to convert the file type as most of the document types we get are PDF.

I appreciate your help guys! 

@Mรดnica wrote:

We have no intention of changing the column type so I think it's "better" for the user to convert the file type as most of the document types we get are PDF.

To prevent extra work for the user, why not provide both columns - One for an image and one for a document?

You are right! As I work with UX, nothing fairer than giving the user a hand.
The fields were provided everything tested and working!

Thanks for your help always, most of my questions here were solved!

Top Labels in this Space