When do you use VIRTUAL COLUMN ? How do you record old data ?

Hello guys, 

I'm seeking for advices

As I'm seeing, If you use real column with formula, everytime you update related data, you need to change the data in the row for the formula to update along. I see method of creating one more collumn kinda like update, and everytime we call the action (+1 for example) so that the formula can update

I also see that if we use virtual column, we do not have to do the (+1 update) method, it's automatically along when we change related data

But how do you solve the update issue and how do you efficiently record data if for example: 

- I have an SKU name of 2022, price $2.0, so this year purchase order recorded with the price $2.0

- For next year 2023, the same SKU, but price increased to $3.0, if I use Virtual column, old the old records will be updated along, and that would not be correct 

What I am thinking is : 

- For column that we will not likely to change the data over years -> use Virtual Column

- For column that we likely to change the data over years -> use the Real Column 

Not sure If am thinking right enough, please kindly advise

0 1 53
1 REPLY 1

I have the same issue with one of my apps.  The best solution is to have 3 tables.  The first is the order/job/quote table.  The second is a pricelist table to record the current prices.  The third is an item/SKU/product table that copies the data from the pricelist table.  So with this your virtual column will just add ip items in the third table and not the pricelist table

Top Labels in this Space