Which view types can include which Show type columns and under what circumstances?

With regard to how and whether it's possible to include Show type columns in various view types, I observe discrepancies between AppSheet Help, the app editor UI, and actual app behavior. @lizlynch or others, is it possible to get definitive documentation?

Both Column data types - AppSheet Help and Customize detail and form views using Show types - AppSheet Help specify that "By default, Show type columns are only permitted in form views. To include Show type columns in detail views, enable Include Show columns in detail views on the UX > Options pane in the Detail View section."

The app editor UI's instructions align with that published documentation:

dbaum_0-1684703483090.png

Here are the behaviors I observed today that don't match that published information.

1. Disabling the Include Show columns in detail views setting does not preclude including a Show type column in non-form view types.
  2. It's possible to include a Show type column in at least one view type other than form and detail.

In an app with the Include Show columns in detail views setting disabled, I'm able to nonetheless include Show type columns in a detail view. The Show column's I've tried have Category properties of "Section_Header" or "Text"; I have not tried with other categories.

• Maybe this is a bug--i.e., if the app setting is disabled, then the column should not be selectable in a detail view?
  • Or, maybe the documentation is simply imprecise--i.e., if the app setting is disabled then the column is not included by default or in a detail view's "**all other columns**" selection for the Column order property, but it's still selectable for explicit inclusion (at least if its category is "Section_Header" or "Text")?

In another app (in another account) also with the Include Show columns in detail views setting disabled, I'm able to include a Show type column in a deck view (its layout even helpfully suppressed line breaks). The Show column's Category property is "Text"; I have not tried with other categories or other view types.

• Maybe this is a bug--i.e., the column should never be selectable in a deck view? (I hope that's not the case--I find it helpful to use Show columns in deck views and would like to be able to rely on that behavior.)
  • Or, maybe the documentation is simply imprecise--i.e., a Show type column is selectable for inclusion in at least some view types other than form and detail (at least if its category is "Text")?
4 0 113
  • UX
0 REPLIES 0
Top Labels in this Space