Workflow to create a Google folder, then share a link

Hello all,

Would it be possible to create a workflow that will create a Google folder from a trigger, and then once created, share the folder, and paste the link in a Google sheet cell?

I have two columns:

[Create Google Drive Folder?]

[Docs]

I would like to see if there's a way to make a bot that when [Create Google Drive Folder?] = "Yes", a bot will run, created a Google folder in a directory, let's call it Job Folders, make the folder sharable, and then paste the link in the [Docs] column, based on a key of coarse correlated to the [Create Google Drive Folder?] column.

I do this already manually for every row, but it would be very nice to automate.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

0 1 123
1 REPLY 1

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Joe_Seiler 

This is doable using an Apps Script function with a return value, that would be return to the bot.

For reference:

Use return values from Apps Script tasks - AppSheet Help

Call Apps Script from an automation - AppSheet Help

About Apps Script, it is not the appropriate place to ask for help but I found this. It can be a little tedious to achieve.

Create a new folder in Drive using Google App Script - Stack Overflow

Class Folder  |  Apps Script  |  Google for Developers

However:

@Joe_Seiler wrote:

I would like to see if there's a way to make a bot that when [Create Google Drive Folder?] = "Yes", a bot will run, created a Google folder in a directory, let's call it Job Folders, make the folder sharable, and then paste the link in the [Docs] column, based on a key of coarse correlated to the [Create Google Drive Folder?] column.

I don't think you need to build the mechanism. If you explicitely say to AppSheet: "create a file in this folder", if the folder is not existing already, it will create it for you.

For reference:

Create and save a file from an automation - AppSheet Help

Top Labels in this Space