Write a new value to an existing table

Seems like it should be simple enough. I have two sheets:

Sheet 1: Colleague input data

Sheet 2: Values for a field

Process: Colleague creates a record in Sheet 1 for a thing they are doing. In field 'Model' there are values (Thing 1, Thing 2, Thing 3) which are lifted from Sheet 2 via a data validity formula (Column[Value]). 

There are times when 'Model' is not Thing 1, Thing 2, Thing 3 and could be HIPPOPOTAMUS. 

How do I allow them to select 'Model' in the app then create a new value in Sheet 2 for HIPPOPOTAMUS?

Solved Solved
0 5 90
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, you have a Model table, and an Input table. Ensure Model table allows add, and set a column in Input as a Ref type, pointing to Model. On the UI, the user will see a dropdown of existing Models, and on top will see a selection for "New" which allows them to add a new Model record on-the-fly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

As much as i appreciate you replying, RTFM hasn't helped here. I have read and re-read this article since Friday as well as watched the video, implementing the suggested changes but I cannot reach the very simple solution of:

Sheet 1 column 'Model' must list values from Sheet 2 column 'Model' and then allow to create new values in Sheet 2.

I have seen the following with trying the article above:

- No values in dropdown

- One value in dropdown

- No ability to create new values in dropdown

- Schema errors requiring unique IDs to be created for both sheets

- The field disappearing completely from the app

- Having to regenerate table structures multiple times

- Having to save multiple times

- Having to deploy and prototype and deploy and protoype and.... many many times

I am tearing my hair out with this one. It's such a stupidly simple thing and it's simply not working.

So, you have a Model table, and an Input table. Ensure Model table allows add, and set a column in Input as a Ref type, pointing to Model. On the UI, the user will see a dropdown of existing Models, and on top will see a selection for "New" which allows them to add a new Model record on-the-fly.

Thank you Marc, this is helpful to see step-by-step. Now, this allows me to add new records but the values that are in Model are no longer options:

dhdevans_1-1674814689452.png

I set the data validity for the column to look at Model[Model] to verify the values but the above is what is pulling through.

Mysteriously saved it again (twice) and it is now working ๐Ÿคฃ

Thank you again Marc.

Top Labels in this Space