deploy vs not deployed app that modified from template

I have copied and customized the app from template shared on the internet.  lโ€™m 80% done with the app and wanna try using the app for free with less than 10 users + log in required.

My questions are

1) do l need to deploy the app first in order to be able to share to other 9 users to use the app?

2) my app uses automation function for Line BOT and email notifications; however, there is a warning sign saying that if the app is not deployed yet, the BOT couldnโ€™t send notifications to me but could only send to the app owner. What should l do? Is there way to change owner of the modified app from its original owner?

Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

Solved Solved
0 4 168
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Note that inviting users to an undeployed app is meant for testing purposes only to gain feedback from actual testers for app improvement before it goes "live".  It is not intended as a legitimate long-term plan.

As such there are limitations to an undeployed app.  One of them is that Email and Push Notifications will be sent to the App Creator only.  Text notifications will not work at all.  Scheduled Bots will not run automatically.  There could be a couple others I am not thinking of.

To answer your questions:

1)  You do not need to deploy the app to invite the 9 test users.

2)  Ownership of the app can be changed.  If you are a co-author of the app, then you can request ownership from the app creator.  Of course they must approve of the transition.  See image below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 4.55.36 PM.png

View solution in original post

Regarding #2: It sounds like you copied the app to your account (and then modified), in which case you're the app owner referenced in the warning about automation emails. The app owner is not the original template owner, but rather the owner of the specific instance of the app. On your AppSheet account page listing "My apps", if the app appears under the "Co-authored" apps category then you're not the app owner; otherwise you are. You can also confirm within the app by referencing the result of the following expression.

CONTEXT("OwnerEmail")

The app owner's email is also visible in some of the pages linked from the About screen, such as the privacy policy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Note that inviting users to an undeployed app is meant for testing purposes only to gain feedback from actual testers for app improvement before it goes "live".  It is not intended as a legitimate long-term plan.

As such there are limitations to an undeployed app.  One of them is that Email and Push Notifications will be sent to the App Creator only.  Text notifications will not work at all.  Scheduled Bots will not run automatically.  There could be a couple others I am not thinking of.

To answer your questions:

1)  You do not need to deploy the app to invite the 9 test users.

2)  Ownership of the app can be changed.  If you are a co-author of the app, then you can request ownership from the app creator.  Of course they must approve of the transition.  See image below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 4.55.36 PM.png

Thank you so much for such detailed answers! but does user log-in requirement works in an undeployed app?

Regarding #2: It sounds like you copied the app to your account (and then modified), in which case you're the app owner referenced in the warning about automation emails. The app owner is not the original template owner, but rather the owner of the specific instance of the app. On your AppSheet account page listing "My apps", if the app appears under the "Co-authored" apps category then you're not the app owner; otherwise you are. You can also confirm within the app by referencing the result of the following expression.

CONTEXT("OwnerEmail")

The app owner's email is also visible in some of the pages linked from the About screen, such as the privacy policy.

yes yes. l checked and l'm actually the app owner. Thank you so much!

Top Labels in this Space