displaying details of the searched order number only

Good day community, 

I need some help or redirection on how to acheive this simple thing (to most of you) : 

I have a table that has all order numbers and its status, so i would like to have this table to be viewed blank, but whenever you type in the search an order number it shall display only this particular number, otherwise it is blank and empty. i hope that i was clear 

Example: 
Table name "Order details" 
column "Order Number" has the order Number 

once i click on this view in the app it should blank , but when i type in the search the order number 123-45678 for example, i want it to display the result for this particular order number.

thanks 

Solved Solved
1 14 261
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

where the user can enter an order number

This would typically in the user table as it's essentially a temporary preference unique to a single user. See  Current User (Slice) | How to conform your app a... - Google Cloud Community  for an overview of this concept. The author of that technique, @MultiTech, also has a video that I'm sure he can find quicker than I can about an "enhanced dashboard" technique that can be used to accomplish what you describe.

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

and regarding the slice (of the table that has the order numbers) what kind of expressions does the job ? an IF ? 

[Order Number] = {expression that returns the order number entered by the user in another table}

View solution in original post

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

so i would like to have this table to be viewed blank

You'll definitely have to go the "manually constructed" route in order to get this to work

By default when you've got the interactive dashboard turned on, it shows everything

• The only way to get a table to show nothing, is to have a slice telling it to be empty
  • Then, based on variables filled in by the user elsewhere (aka: their user table record), you can filter the list to show the records you want

------------------------

It's the "I want it to be blank when nothing is selected" is what's making it hard

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

AFAIK, there's not a way to accomplish that using the search function that's available in an app's header bar. Consider instead a dashboard view that includes one view where the user can enter an order number and another view based on a slice that's limited to the order number matching the column where the user enters an order number.

Thanks for your response, So if i got you right, the "where the user can enter an order number" view shall be a view of the table where it has all the orders info?if yes, shall it update a new column in this table with the inputed order number by the user? 
or just a new table in my database ? 

and regarding the slice (of the table that has the order numbers) what kind of expressions does the job ? an IF ? 

Sorry for all those questions, i never had such a use of this before today.

thanks 

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

where the user can enter an order number

This would typically in the user table as it's essentially a temporary preference unique to a single user. See  Current User (Slice) | How to conform your app a... - Google Cloud Community  for an overview of this concept. The author of that technique, @MultiTech, also has a video that I'm sure he can find quicker than I can about an "enhanced dashboard" technique that can be used to accomplish what you describe.

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

[Order Number] = {expression that returns the order number entered by the user in another table}

Thanks again for the tips, am hoping that @MultiTech (who i follow his youtube channel) would help with some resources / Videos on how to acheive this.
or any of the experts in this community who would do a sample app on how to acheive this as it might be helpful for some 

@dbaum wrote:

The author of that technique, @MultiTech, also has a video that I'm sure he can find quicker than I can about an "enhanced dashboard" technique that can be used to accomplish what you describe

Enhanced Dashboard Sample App.png

@Hussein_Osseily wrote:

so i would like to have this table to be viewed blank

You'll definitely have to go the "manually constructed" route in order to get this to work

By default when you've got the interactive dashboard turned on, it shows everything

• The only way to get a table to show nothing, is to have a slice telling it to be empty
  • Then, based on variables filled in by the user elsewhere (aka: their user table record), you can filter the list to show the records you want

------------------------

It's the "I want it to be blank when nothing is selected" is what's making it hard

Thanks for your response and tips on how to achieve this ! 
your video about the dashboard was very helpful for my application as i always wanted to creat something like that but couldn’t figure it out! 

Hello @MultiTech @dbaum 

I could acheive what i wanted with a form view and a LIST Virtual Column, I don't know if this a good way but it works for me so far. 

result looking like this:

Hussein_Osseily_0-1666007733501.png

Thanks for your tips above

that's exactly what i am desperately looking for. Please can you tell me exactly how this can be achieved ?

Hello @mati85 

I'll Explain how i did it, it might not be the best method though. 

I created a new table let's call it "search" 
Create a column of type list , this column would be responsible of getting you the list , search result.  use expression filter example: 
FILTER("Orders", ([Customer] = [_THISROW].[Customer])) 
in this key the user search by customer and get a list based on that. 

then , in the form view of this table , select the column you want to show, in above example i showed the column MAWB only and the list column. 

If you fail to acheive this, i can lookup for my old app sample or you can share your column names for more accurate walk through

In my use case, the user search using a MAWB Number to display FSU Messages, other columns are totally optional:
How th "Search Table" looks like

Hussein_Osseily_0-1713767874766.png

The virtual column expression i used: 

ORDERBY(
FILTER("FSU MASTER SHEET",[MAWB] = [_THISROW].[Search by MAWB]),
FSU Master Sheet[arriveTime],
TRUE)

I feel like references would help a ton here.

If "Search by MAWB" would be an Enum (base type REF) connected to whatever parent table the MAWB is.... then you might be able to simplify things through a derference.

• [Search by MAWB].[Related FSU Master Sheets]

This would require that the FSU Master Sheets are hard ref connected to whatever the MAWB table is.

Might something like this work?

I hadn't considered using Ref before, but thanks for suggesting it! I'm sure that it would significantly boost performance. With the filter expression becoming more expensive as the data in the master sheet expands, it seems like a wise move. 

Hi Hussein,

Can you tell me how you did this, i am trying so hard and cannot come up with a solution. Appsheets is so frustrating.

Top Labels in this Space