how do I transfer one column of data from a table to another keeping the "routelist" number ID ?

@Steve @SkrOYC  @Suvrutt_Gurjar  @dbaum @Marc_Dillon 

who ever solves this gets $20 venmo. 

SCREEN SHOTS PROVIDED

I have one simple task that I have been trying to solve for the past week and im reaching out for help.

I am new to app develpment so please bare with me 🙂

Q: I need to transfer (or reference) the column named "Last_Transaction_Date_" in the "Contacts" table to the "Accounts" table, the "The Route Numbers" must match so they are the correct dates.

I have a feeling it must a be ref_rows function but im not sure exactly what to do ! please be kind to offer a solution if you think you can help. Thank you !!!

screenshot 8.pngscreen shot 7.png

Solved Solved
1 17 396
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In the Accounts table:

• Ensure there is a column of Ref type that is based on the Contacts table. (Maybe that is already the Accounts table's Route_Number column.)
  • Ensure that column contains values that match the values from the column designated as the key column in the Contacts table. (Similarly, maybe that is already the Contacts table's Route_Number column but potentially is something else, such as Contact_ID.)
  • In a virtual column, as was suggested by others, enter an expression like the following in the App formula property. As necessary, substitute "Route_Number" with the name (not the display name) of the column from the Accounts table that is the Ref type column linked to the Contacts table and substitute "Last_Transaction_Date" with the name (not the display name) of the desired column from the Contacts table. 
[Route_Number].[Last_Transaction_Date]

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

If "Route_Number" is a ref in the virtual column formula you can set [Route_Number].[Last_Transaction_Date]

If it is not ref you can use Lookup([Route_Number],"Nameofthetablewhereistheresult","Route_Number","Last_Transaction_Date")

Let me know if it was usefull.

thank you for the response, did not work tho! this is all I see using this - Lookup([Route_Number],"Nameofthetablewhereistheresult","Route_Number","Last_Transaction_Date")

the virtual columns are now blank.. 😞

You need to replace "Nameofthetablewhereistheresult" with the actual name of your source table - I guess that is the table used in your first image - the "Contacts" table?

i did, does not work !

I always forget that in the LOOKUP() function, for the specified column, you must always use the [_THISROW] qualifier.  I am not sure why but that is how it is.  So try:

Lookup([_THISROW].[Route_Number],
"Nameofthetablewhereistheresult",
"Route_Number",
"Last_Transaction_Date")

cool so where do i post this code ??

Hmm.  You have been saying it doesn't work.  Where have you been inserting it?

In your second view, you are showing a column named "New Virtual Column",  I presume that this LOOKUP() function should be inserted in the App Formula of that column.

In the table accounts set the column route_number as a ref to the table contacts and then use [Route_Number].[Last_Transaction_Date]

i have followed your directions to a T, still not working, all it does it show me a blank column. 

Can you tell me what type of virtual column is? I mean text, show ecc.

u wanna facetime or somthing? i feel like that would be easier lol

Heheh I can't now. Can you share your app here. 

In the Accounts table:

• Ensure there is a column of Ref type that is based on the Contacts table. (Maybe that is already the Accounts table's Route_Number column.)
  • Ensure that column contains values that match the values from the column designated as the key column in the Contacts table. (Similarly, maybe that is already the Contacts table's Route_Number column but potentially is something else, such as Contact_ID.)
  • In a virtual column, as was suggested by others, enter an expression like the following in the App formula property. As necessary, substitute "Route_Number" with the name (not the display name) of the column from the Accounts table that is the Ref type column linked to the Contacts table and substitute "Last_Transaction_Date" with the name (not the display name) of the desired column from the Contacts table. 
[Route_Number].[Last_Transaction_Date]

thank you! have been agonizing over this... had to make the correct key/refs  thats what solved it. whats your venmo name, you won $20! God bless you

Please use your money to purchase some of the offerings from one of the following companies. They make lots of resources available for free that benefit the whole AppSheet community, and they deserve monetary support from those who can afford it. To be clear: I have no affiliation with either company.

will do

Heheheh we were saying it the for the past three days 😂😂😂, finally the hero has come. Good work 👋

Top Labels in this Space