iOS Maps Error

2X_6_6c327b124c210394196a4ab6d41b977d45f87d08.jpeg

I tested my app on the iPad and the car/directions button doesn’t show on the iPad.
It doesn’t even show in the AppSheet editor; it’s not even a hidden system generated action that I can manipulate.

Yet, it shows on some of my iOS user’s phones and when they click it, it shows the AppSheet.com error.

1. Could I have the option to disable the directions action?
  2. Could we use a URL + [geocode] that both iOS maps and Google maps identify as directions?
  3. Could we have an AppSheet directions button that detects iOS or Android and produces a special geocode & directions URL per platform?

Could we have a solution quickly?

0 6 602
6 REPLIES 6

I can’t try it, but this Help article says
You must install Google Maps on iPhone and iPad devices to obtain driving directions.

I want to expand my app for many thousands of users.
It’s published as white-label on Google Store and Apple Store.
This seems very inconvenient to have a message “you need Google Maps” installed.
It would be more convenient and less embarrassing if I can just disable this action button…

Can’t you?
In the actions area, or even the deck view itself

Well, it’s the map view. The map view is vital for my app.
The system generated actions:

• View Map (Location)
  • Edit
  • Add
    Even for these I have the option to choose “do not display,” or even change the table to “read only” which would hide these if necessary.

Yet, for that small little car that opens a Google directions URL with the geocode inserted, I cannot find a way to hide it. If I could hide it, I could create my own action button that would allow the user to open a directions URL in Google Maps OR iOS Maps.

Fascinatingly sad…

Yes, it’s sad.
But, I feel like most of the issues we face can be easily resolved if a team member has it’s attention.
It seems the international date line issue I had a few days ago was easily resolved by the team!

I’m honestly surprised that such a thing wasn’t resolved, to be even included at the bottom of the article @fabian linked. Which was written a week ago?

If I was part of the team I would have suggested to at LEAST give the user the option to hide directions button so iPhone users on white-labeled apps don’t see such a thing. Because as AppSheet users we have no control over that error, which is inevitable for iPhone users.

Top Labels in this Space