parent-child-grandhild where google calendar is the grandchild

Hello! Can anyone point me to a simple three-table template with conveniently labelled parent-child-grandchild relationships?
i have found a template that has four tables, (parent-child-grandchild-greatgrandchild) which is great, somewhat helpful for grasping the basic concepts, but its confusing me, just a bit too complex for my current needs

1. my parent table contains unique "Orders" where I must store a ton of order details but also schedule and display 3 different types of appointments for each order
  2. my child table is "Events" where I store all those appointments as unique rows, each event Reffed back to its parent order, and i have structured it in a format that mimics the google calendar columns because...
  3. my grandchild table is my google calendar import. So, I can't customize it much! I can add virtual columns to it. But I can't change any names of the non-virtual columns.
  4. I successfully edited google's non-virtual "Location" column to make it a ref type back to my own tables but I can't rename it. It has to be called "Location" to prevent errors writing back to google.
  5. "Location" column in the grandchild-GoogleTable will non-virtually Ref a key from above it, but I can't figure out whether it should store my childEvents-key or my parentOrders-key.
  6. This is where the template I was following is confusing me: Since I can't rename google columns, I can't just follow the same naming pattern throughout my structure as the appsheet template does with its child / grandchild etc. The template re-uses column names when it Refs them downward(upward). Since they are found in ref row formulas and ref column names, it is making my inexperienced trial-and-error troubleshooting a little harder.
Help?? I would love either advice or a link to an example app which uses generic newb friendly structural naming conventions like [ParentID] [ChildID] [ChildRef] etc
thank you!
Solved Solved
0 1 111
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @coldcoffee 

@coldcoffee wrote:

I would love either advice or a link to an example app which uses generic newb friendly structural naming conventions like [ParentID] [ChildID] [ChildRef] etc

Here are two sample apps of my own, I hope that will help you:

Parent_Child_GC_noBot - AppSheet

Parent_Child1_Child2_noBot - AppSheet

The purpose of these apps are to help into understanding a duplication mechanism, hence you will find some actions in it ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @coldcoffee 

@coldcoffee wrote:

I would love either advice or a link to an example app which uses generic newb friendly structural naming conventions like [ParentID] [ChildID] [ChildRef] etc

Here are two sample apps of my own, I hope that will help you:

Parent_Child_GC_noBot - AppSheet

Parent_Child1_Child2_noBot - AppSheet

The purpose of these apps are to help into understanding a duplication mechanism, hence you will find some actions in it ๐Ÿ™‚

Top Labels in this Space