questionnaire in application based on many tables in appsheet database

Hello!

I need to create an application in appsheet in order to have a questionnaire (long text questions, and a column for answer,); I have to save data in a table but in this table I have to be able to identify who is the person who answered every questions. I've created in appsheet database a few tables, for example, one for personal data of the respondent (they have an unique id), a table with the questions, a table with some supplementary data needed from respondents. I have tried several options, but it didn't work (remarks: I can't use every question as a column, because they are very long and appsheet database column has limitation at 80 characters.

I am really stuck.

Coudl someone help me with an advice? 

Thank you!

Regards!

Ruxandra   

0 6 444
6 REPLIES 6

@Ruxandra wrote:

appsheet database column has limitation at 80 characters

That doesn't sound right. I'm able to enter longer values in both Text and Long Text columns.

dbaum_0-1677292518571.png

dbaum_1-1677292562550.png

Maybe you're referencing an AppSheet Database character limit for a column name? If so, you could always use a shorter name and then in the app table enter longer text in each column's display name property. When creating expressions within an app, it can be unruly to have long column names anyway.

@Ruxandra wrote:

I have tried several options, but it didn't work

It's unclear what doesn't work.

@Ruxandra wrote:

I've created in appsheet database a few tables, for example, one for personal data of the respondent (they have an unique id), a table with the questions, a table with some supplementary data needed from respondents.

It's unclear where in here, if at all, you include columns for respondents' answers to the questions. Maybe that's the issue?

Regardless, here's an outline of a typical data design for the scenario you describe.

• Table: Respondents
    • Columns: Respondent ID, whatever else is needed
  • Table: Questions
    • Columns: Question ID, Question
  • Table: Responses
    • Columns: Respondent ID, Question ID, Response

Hello!

Yes, you are right, I wasn't clear about the lenght of the column,  I was referring to the column name. Thank you for your advice.

About the tables, what I don't know how to do it's about the respondent id: I have 60  questions, the respondent has to see the form as a table in order to easily click yes/no, the respondent types one time his unique Id , in the form "Respondents" and his unique ID should be automatically copy in the Answers table for each question. I used Ref and Lookup to link all tables, but this is what I don't know how should I do it. This is my third application, I have more things to learn.

Thank you for your answer and your kindness.

Regards!

Ruxandra

@Ruxandra wrote:

his unique ID should be automatically copy in the Answers table for each question

Add any number of rows from any row within a table - Google Cloud Community  

Hello!

Thank you for your answer, I've read the doc, I think it's a bit complicated for me to manage all this actions, and take them in my app. I will try something, using copy rows action, but, well, I work with appsheet for 6 months, I have not so much experience to combine mane actions.

Regards! 

Ruxandra

If you find it easier, you can always follow through on your original approach. Make a table with each question as its own column and use short system column names for convenience and full question text in each column's display name or description property.

Yes, I used short name for the columns name, and full question text in display, as you said. And every question is a column, I put them in the same table, because I need to create a view for users, and maybe I don't know, but it can't be done a view based on several tables. Well, I have 52 questions - columns ๐Ÿ™‚ ....

Plus, another data to collect from another 2 small questionnaires.

Thank you for your answers.

Regards!

Ruxandra

Top Labels in this Space