"Broken" Reference

Denis2

Good morning! I had an app that was working well (with thanks to the community for previous help). I have obviously made a change somewhere and now appear to have a broken reference. There is a table SItes with a key Site Utility e.g Southampton Gas. There is another table Gas Meter Readings with a reference to SItes and โ€œIs Part Ofโ€ set on. So in testing I have entered meter reads and the Gas Readings table was properly updated with the reading and the reference to SItes picking up SIte Utility. Now itโ€™s stopped working. I enter a reading but SIte Ref column doesnโ€™t update to record the SIte Utility. I attach a screenshot of the Excel sheet showing the last entry missing the SIte Ref. I also attach screenshots of the reference columns from the two tables
2X_4_4055931cb45dba87ecf202d685b0d3c115b8d034.png

0 8 1,138
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I would guess your app doesnโ€™t require the Site Ref column be filled in a form.

Hi Steve,

Youโ€™re right I had not set it to require but itโ€™s a Ref field and should be picked up from Sites table. I set it to Required but it makes no difference. Also, as a ref field itโ€™s been working for
several weeks. Actually, perhaps thatโ€™s not actually correct. I just remembered that in order to have a reasonable amount of data in there, I populated the fields in Excel and I think thatโ€™s when this behaviour started. I have regenerated structure several
times since.

Denis

In one of the screenshots, it looks like your spreadsheet has filters on. Filters can cause problems. Try turning filters off?

Thanks but it makes no difference

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Can you explain what you mean by this? I donโ€™t understand โ€œthe reference to SItes picking up SIte Utilityโ€.

Steve,

Aleksi has also picked this up in support. I Just emailed him as below. When you say that you have entered data in testing can you clarify in what app. My current version (the one that doesnโ€™t work
for me) is MeterReadingDevelopmentVersion. The column id e.g. Gas Meter Readings called Site Ref is not populated.

Hi Aleksi,

The two tables Gas Meter Readings and Electricity Meter Readings reference the Sites Table. The key to the Sites Table is Site Utility (e.g. Southampton Gasโ€). The Sites table then has reverse references
to each of the readings tables. When I click on a given Site Utility I have an inline form to enter the meter readings in the appropriate readings table. Each readings table has a column called Site Ref that should be automatically populated with the Site
Utility value. That is not happening so the meter readings are not connected to anything. This worked very well until, somehow, I must have changed something and cannot now find that change. Do you want me to share the app with you?

Many thanks,

Denis

Aleksi from Appsheet found the problem. If the problem is thisโ€ฆ when you fill the metering with the form, it doesnโ€™t show the Site field (Ref). It doesnโ€™t show because you have set the option โ€œEditableโ€ to OFF. He was quite righ -once I Set the โ€œEditableโ€ option to โ€œONโ€ it worked. Thanks to all

Great, thanks for the update.

Top Labels in this Space