"Free plan" capabilities

Request clarification on exactly what features are NOT available without a paid subscription. 

Sorry for the double-negative, but I'm a bit confused (and semi-frustrated).  After spending WAY too many hours learning to use Appsheet, I finally got to the point where I started to integrate some automation.  To my dismay, it now seems pretty clear that automation features (e.g., scheduled events, push notifications, SMS messages, etc.) cannot be used without a paid subscription.  

I retraced my steps to figure out where I made a false assumption (or failed to read some fine print), but I can't find my error.  Specifically, when I go to the "Pricing page", it clearly states: 

(https://about.appsheet.com/pricing/)

"Try AppSheet for free

Use the app editor and process designer for free. Try every feature of the platform with up to 10 test users."

(that's a cut-and-paste).  So, how should I have interpreted the phrase "every feature" to mean "every feature except a few"?  What am I missing??

0 4 392
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

All features can be used for free while the app is in prototype mode (while not deployed). Once deployed, the app can be used for free for only a small number of users.

Not available (afaik):

• Schedule Reports
  • Send emails via automation to other people (emails are sent to the app owner)
  • Maybe something else?
  • White label? I mean, of course.

In general, we don't create apps to leave them as free, but it's one of the best "free plan" out there. Others always limit important stuff that prevents you to know if the features are what you need, AppSheet for prototyping is quite feature rich.

If you are not trying to use it for free for something else, I'd say that it's worth it.

Also -and I'm 99% sure about this- you can have a deployed app marked as personal use, if you are the only user.

Again, check the docs to make sure you get the right answers to your questions.

First the docs, then the community:

How to Choose a Subscription Plan | AppSheet Help Center

Plan Upgrade Required | AppSheet Help Center

Thanks for the quick replies, @Steve  and @SkrOYC -- that all makes perfect sense. 

@Steve : re: "All features can be used for free while the app is in prototype mode:" can you please explain (or point me toward the reference that discusses) how to use SMS messaging via automation while in the prototype mode?  Despite hours of research (and trial-and-error), I'm still unable to get it to work.  

It appears to me that, by design, there are several features which are NOT usable before the app is deployed (regardless of pricing plan).  Also, it seems that your qualification about only being free while in prototype mode is contrary to the Appsheet pricing video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEgn5j8Uuuo); the narrator of that video clearly states that all plan features are available "as long as your app is not deployed to more than 10 users."  (The implication being that it can be deployed to <= 10 users and all features will still be available for free).

Of note, neither of your replies address the misleading (at best) advertisement of "Try every feature of the platform with up to 10 test users."  No matter how I parse that statement, it sure seems to be false advertising. 

Food for thought:

re: "we don't create apps to leave them as free": again, that makes perfect sense.  However, what also seems to make a lot of sense is to absorb the insignificant/marginal cost of allowing small scale, free usage of your app (e.g., allowing full-feature access for 10 users or less, as your literature clearly states in MANY places), while accruing your income from the users that out-grow/exceed the 10-user limitation. 

I'm probably stating the obvious, but this cost can easily be written off within your advertising budget; assuming you actually have a good app, more "free users" means that more people will be talking about it and recommending it to others.  Likewise, users that may start off using the app for free to solve some some-scale problem are more likely to leverage that same, familiar app when a larger problem arises that could benefit from a custom app.  

Alas, I have no doubt that the Appsheet folks are far smarter than me on how to run a successful business; and it's obviously your prerogative to set whatever limitations you see fit for free-loading users (like me) of your tool.  HOWEVER, if you refer back to my original post, I'm not questioning the arbitrary rules you employ.  I'm questioning why Appsheet is being disingenuous in their advertisement?  

I never would have wasted so many hours of my life trying to learn the Appsheet construct if there had been truth in advertising. 

PLEASE update your literature to reflect reality so the next poor sap doesn't fall into the same trap.

Your video has nothing to do with the official AppSheet team.

That video is from QREW Tech and they can say whatever they want on their videos, it's an unofficial source of info about AppSheet

Top Labels in this Space