"Is part of?" not working for deleting child records from same table?

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me out. I have a table with a column which is a reference to the same table. In this way, there will be some "parent" record to one or some "child" records (and this can be recursive, so the "child" records can have their own "children").

Example:

idparentId 
id001 "Parent 1" record
id002id001"Child 1.1" record of "Parent 1"
id003id001"Child 1.2" record of "Parent 1"
id004id002"Child 1.1.1" record of "Child 1.1"

The column "parentId" is of type "Ref" for the same table, and the option "Is part of?" is Enabled.

But... when I delete the parent record, the other records remain (are not deleted automatically, as they are supposed to according to the "Is part of?" option).

Is this a bug or is this a expected behaviour because the children records are on the same table?

If this is the expected behaviour, is it there any alternative with Automation perhaps?

0 1 37
1 REPLY 1

Self-referential tables also do not automatically create the REF_ROWS column. I suspect the auto-deletion from isPartOf was also just overlooked for self-referential tables as well. Or perhaps it was left out on purpose to avoid recursion.

Yes you can certainly set up a Bot to perform the same deletion sequence.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/4865307-appsheet-automation-the-essentials

Top Labels in this Space