url failed to open edited pdf

Hi,

I created a task that makes a pdf file for any data change. And I started an action that pastes the pdf file path in the column. It works well. When I edit any data of the row it automatically updates that pdf in the same path in the same file. But now the problem is when I click the path it is not opening the edited or new pdf file. It still opening the old one. Then I did such things as after editing the data I deleted the path and regenerate the pdf file path and open it. But it was the same opening the old pdf file. I checked the pdf file in the drive folder, pdf was updated. And I did one more thing I changed the pdf file path to URL. But the same thing happening.

Actually, I want to share the order with the customer. Whenever customers click the URL link they can see the edited or updated or new pdf file.

@Steve 

@SkrOYC 

Or anyone in this community.

Solved Solved
0 5 185
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I assume then you have modified the automation so that it will generate the same file file name each time it runs the same row.

I also assume, based on path information, that you are likely using Google to store the PDF's.  Be aware of two things:

1)  Google attempts to keep a file "history".  When you overwrite a file, the older version is still available.  There may be a setting to turn this feature off.

2)  Images and files are cached for speedy access.  When you overwrite a file, I suspect that MAYBE the caching system is not recognizing the file needs updated and simply keeps the cached version as is i.e. retains the old version.  You can test this by clearing cached files and attempting to access the file again and see if the new version is retrieved.

For app maintenance and analysis, especially for customer support, I strongly recommend that you KEEP all versions of the generated files.  It will help to eliminate some confusing conversations with your customers.

Then archive/delete older versions at some determined appropriate time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Note that AppSheet does NOT update a PDF file.  It always generates a NEW file each time.

Can you provide:

1)  The full URL you are creating.

2)  the location of the PDF's - path, folder and filenames.

Yes, AppSheet creates a new file each time. but as the name of the pdf file is going to be the same the old one is replaced with the new one. Still, when I click the URL it opens the old one.

Here is the URL including the path.

CONCATENATE(

"https://www.appsheet.com/template/gettablefileurl",
"?appName=",ENCODEURL(CONTEXT("AppName")),
"&tableName=",ENCODEURL(CONTEXT("Table")),
"&fileName=",ENCODEURL("/appsheet/data/SJPLORDERS-1001110040/Files/pdf files"&"/"&[Customer Name]&"_"&[Order ID]&".pdf")

)

I assume then you have modified the automation so that it will generate the same file file name each time it runs the same row.

I also assume, based on path information, that you are likely using Google to store the PDF's.  Be aware of two things:

1)  Google attempts to keep a file "history".  When you overwrite a file, the older version is still available.  There may be a setting to turn this feature off.

2)  Images and files are cached for speedy access.  When you overwrite a file, I suspect that MAYBE the caching system is not recognizing the file needs updated and simply keeps the cached version as is i.e. retains the old version.  You can test this by clearing cached files and attempting to access the file again and see if the new version is retrieved.

For app maintenance and analysis, especially for customer support, I strongly recommend that you KEEP all versions of the generated files.  It will help to eliminate some confusing conversations with your customers.

Then archive/delete older versions at some determined appropriate time.

is it possible to attach the pdf file instead of sharing the pdf URL when I share on WhatsApp?

Top Labels in this Space