userid in child tables

Consult Friends! Forgive my ignorance.

Does a table that is part of another table need to have a UserID or is it enough for the main table to have it?

Thank you for your answers.

Solved Solved
0 4 113
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Child table and parent table must have one common column so to speak, that being the parent key column.

[UserID] doesn't seem to be the key column, so the answer is no,not necessarily .

You can still apply a security filter to your child table , using info from parent table.

Let's say you have

Parent table, with [userid] column, [parentkeycolumn] ,and other columns , and

Child table with [childkeycolumn] , [parentkeycolumn] as ref , and other columns.

Filter parent table with [UserId] = USEREMAIL(),

Filter child table with isnotblank([parentkeycolumn])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

If you mean a key column, then yes , every table must have one. 

If not, please elaborate

Hi how are you? Thanks for your answer.

I don't mean the RowID but the USEREMAIL()

Suppose I am going to use SecurityFilters where [UserId] = USEREMAIL(), in which case is it necessary for child tables that are parts of other tables to carry [User ID]? Or just pointing that they are parts of another would create the filter automatically.

Child table and parent table must have one common column so to speak, that being the parent key column.

[UserID] doesn't seem to be the key column, so the answer is no,not necessarily .

You can still apply a security filter to your child table , using info from parent table.

Let's say you have

Parent table, with [userid] column, [parentkeycolumn] ,and other columns , and

Child table with [childkeycolumn] , [parentkeycolumn] as ref , and other columns.

Filter parent table with [UserId] = USEREMAIL(),

Filter child table with isnotblank([parentkeycolumn])

Thank you very much for your time, it was very useful!

Top Labels in this Space