Cloud VPN over VPC Peering while establishing connection between two different VPCs in GCP

Hi ,

I saw one case, where one shared VPC is connected with two different vpcs (where actual appilcations were running lets say dev-vpc & prod-vpc) using cloud VPN & I just wondering why we have not use vpc peering from this shared vpc to these two dev-vpc & prod-vpc ??  what additional benefit I can get by using cloud VPN here ??

Solved Solved
3 1 59
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @aloktripathi008 ,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

It is advisable to use VPC peering for your use case if you want VPC if you want two projects' resources communicating with each other (dev-vpc & prod-vpc). However there are severable benefits of using Cloud VPN such as:

1. Transitive Routing: with Cloud VPN, you can peer VPC networks that have subnets with overlapping primary or secondary IP ranges as compared to the limitations of VPC Peering.
  2. Security: You can have fine grained control over your policies such as firewall, access control PER project.
  3. Traffic Monitoring: Cloud VPN allows you to view logs and metrics that may vary depending on the log entry.

However, it is also critical to consider the trade-offs such as additional costs, configurations, management.

I hope you find this information insightful 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi  @aloktripathi008 ,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

It is advisable to use VPC peering for your use case if you want VPC if you want two projects' resources communicating with each other (dev-vpc & prod-vpc). However there are severable benefits of using Cloud VPN such as:

1. Transitive Routing: with Cloud VPN, you can peer VPC networks that have subnets with overlapping primary or secondary IP ranges as compared to the limitations of VPC Peering.
  2. Security: You can have fine grained control over your policies such as firewall, access control PER project.
  3. Traffic Monitoring: Cloud VPN allows you to view logs and metrics that may vary depending on the log entry.

However, it is also critical to consider the trade-offs such as additional costs, configurations, management.

I hope you find this information insightful 

Top Labels in this Space