EOL for Postgres 9.6

Hello,

in reference to this discussion (https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Databases/Postgres-9-6-EOL/m-p/540898) I want to ask, if there any updates regarding the EOL for Postgres 9.6.

In that previous discussion November 2022 is mentioned, but now we're already in April 2024.

Are there already plans for deprecating 9.6?

0 6 1,033
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @weberpatr,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

PostgreSQL 9.6 has already reached its End-of-Life (EOL) and is no longer supported by the PostgreSQL Global Development Group. The EOL date for PostgreSQL 9.6 was November 11, 2021, as stated in the PostgreSQL Release Support Policy.

This means that no further updates, bug fixes, or security patches will be released for PostgreSQL 9.6. It is highly recommended to upgrade to a newer version of PostgreSQL, which is actively supported and receives updates.

Upgrading to a newer version of PostgreSQL not only ensures that you have access to the latest features and security patches but also helps to avoid the risks associated with running unsupported software. Additionally, newer versions of PostgreSQL often include performance improvements that can help to optimize your database operations.

Thanks

Hey @christianpaula 

Thanks for getting back with that answer. I'm aware, that PostgreSQL 9.6. already reached EOL.
I assume, my question was not clear enough 🙂

My question was about how long PostgreSQL 9.6 will be "supported" by Google.
By that I mean, how long its possible to run PSQL 9.6 instances in Google Cloud.
Is there any plan about deprecating 9.6 and force customers to switch to newer versions?

Best regards

I'm curious on this one as well. It isn't clear if gcp will provide security patches for postgres EOL versions or is it just patches to the infrastructure that cloudsql runs on?

Hello @christianpaula 

Can you may give me some feedback here please?

Customers will be notified around EOL support for PG 9.6 this year and then they have 12 supports timeline for planning to upgrade to newer PG version. 

Afaik nothing happened here so far?
Or did I miss the notification?