AppSheet Office Hours: Platform and Community Updates

Published on ‎01-18-2022 11:03 AM by Community Manager | Updated on ‎01-24-2022 07:24 AM

Have questions about AppSheet? 

Then join us for our new series of AppSheet Office Hours kicking off on February 3rd, where you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and receive answers live from AppSheet experts. 

In this first session, we’ll focus on recent updates and new features to the AppSheet platform, including automation, dynamic emails, compliance, connecting to BigQuery, updated barcode scanning, and more. 

We’ll also provide an overview of the new AppSheet Community site and acknowledge its top contributors from the past year. 

If you have any questions in advance - whether it’s about recent AppSheet updates and new features, the new Community site, or even a general question about using AppSheet - please add a comment below and we’ll be sure to address it during the session.

With our new series of AppSheet Office Hours, it’s our goal to provide a trusted space where you can receive support and guidance along your app creation journey. We hope to see you there! 

Agenda

• Welcome from the AppSheet team

• Recent AppSheet platform updates and new features

• New AppSheet Community site walk-through

• Top Community contributors in 2021

• Open Q&A

Meeting information

Featured Guests

Community Manager
Community Manager

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 11:00 AM PST
End:
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 12:00 PM PST
30 Comments
Sara_Bertomeu
Silver 2
Silver 2

Thanks for your time in my question, but I do not understand so much. Sara, and very nice to ear you online. 

Cloud vision is an api to extract text from documento and imagen.

Ai is to train models based on your final data.

App uses this two in the menu, so you can give some AI to your code.

Greeti gs
lamontfr
Silver 1
Silver 1

Hi @Lauren_vdv @Former Community Member @pravse ,

Here is a question I posted in the live chat :

A QUESTION TO THE APPSHEET TEAM : What are plans about long awaited APP MODULARITY from the point of view of the App Creator. As AppSheet becomes more powerful, monolithic apps become hard to manage.

Thanks for looping me in, Praveen. Yes, we have been exploring ideas here and are actively scoping it out. We hope to have more updates for you later this year.

I'd be quite interested in hearing what your needs are on this @lamontfr -- would you be open to doing a VC call and sharing how your apps are structured and talking a bit about your use case?

Hi @carlinyuen ,

I will be glad to share my use cases and ideas with you during a VC call. In the mean time, please have a look at a Feature Idea I posted about this : https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/App-Component-Reuse-Solution/idi-p/371285/high...

I believe we will be taking some steps in this direction this year, specifically with the ability to share data across "modules". @carlinyuen is the feature owner for this and can keep you guys posted as we make progress.

Is this a form of 'reusability' we have been hoping for some time?

TotalSolutions
Silver 2
Silver 2

When can be have easier wasy to organize the Menu Views into Sub Menus. Please let me know. Thank you!! 🙏😊 

aucforum
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Any updates on the progress of reuseable components and items?

There has been some detailed forum discussion on this over time...

mico7
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Good day! Can we request another type of view on AppSheet, a "KanBan" view? And also a pop-up view when we click the details of an Employee or a Client details so that when we need to go back to the previous view we don't need to click the back button on the upper left because it just pop-up and when we press escape it will exit the view for a faster and awesome view. And another more feature for chart view, I got a limited style there. I hope the AppSheet team can do that. Been praying and waiting for that. Thank you in advance.

Hi @mico7 .  This thread is for requests of questions to be discussed in the upcoming office hours meeting.

If you wish for your ideas to be seriously considered for implementation into AppSheet, please post them into the "Feature Ideas" list.  NOTE:  You will want to post a separate Idea post for each distinct feature you want AND please be as descriptive as possible to make it clear what you currently cannot do in AppSheet but wish to.  Images help but don't just say "I want something like this" and then include an image.  

Apology for my comment. Thank you @WillowMobileSys .

No apology needed...was just informing you so your great ideas can get the proper attention.

Sara_Bertomeu
Silver 2
Silver 2

HELLO everyone:

It's possible to have a Spanish Speaking in the meeting too. Thanks💥 

Hi Sara, we'll try to touch on Google Drive connections in general, but are you referring specifically to the Document AI connected folder feature? We may be able to help explain a bit in Spanish, but the default for this event is English.

Yes this is what I was refering, thanks. 

I'm using so much, for me the extraction of the information is not bad, always we have to check, but not write in the beginning, this is very good to win time. 

There are some problems, that I can't solve, for example:

- If you duplicate a  file by error, it's impossible  to erase, you can erase in the sheet but again it cames in a minutes. Refering to folders. 

- To manipulate the sheet from folders, you have to copy in a new sheet and include all the field and names you need. It can't be edited. 

- The differences between using folder and file. I think the way it's the same, but not sure.

But in general is a very good solution. 

I know the event is in english but if we need some help to explain or understand, if you can help with our Language, Spanish, it will be perfect.

Always thanks

Sara_Bertomeu
Silver 2
Silver 2

I'm refering the importa data from Drive. Sorry

Sara_Bertomeu
Silver 2
Silver 2

HELLO everyone:

I'm using get data from documents on Google drive and it works, not bad, but it needs to improve so much. 

Can you explain, how it works in the meeting. Thanks

AaronTerry
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I mentioned some of these before in another post but I'd love to hear about them from the development team.

1. The viewport you've provided us to reply and edit our comments/messages is way too small and doesn't seem to be adjustable.

2. The option to "Lend a hand" was super helpful to both helpers and the helpless. Sometimes the less complex community questions can be answered by the average user and the typical helpers may not have time to help everyone. We don't need a "Lend a hand" page, but volunteer helpers need a way to filter the questions by the oldest posts with no replies.

3. Overlaid actions in dashboards look awful and cramped on mobile but are basically necessary when using any dashboard desktop view or else people need to click the little full-screen arrows. Can we please have two separate options for overlay actions or maybe scale them proportionately to a mobile phone screen so they're not so large, sometimes they even block other buttons in detail views.

Can't wait for the Q&A, thanks in advance to everyone involved!

Kind regards,
Aaron