Leverage AppSheet's New Apps Script Integration Capabilities and BigQuery Connector Enhancements

Published on ‎03-25-2022 11:53 AM by Community Manager | Updated on ‎03-25-2022 11:54 AM

Join us for AppSheet Office Hours on April 14th at 11AM PT to discover new platform enhancements that greatly enhance app creation with the new Apps Script integration and BigQuery Connector enhancements coming soon.

The AppSheet team will demonstrate how you can natively call Google Apps Script functions within your AppSheet automation workflows, enabling your apps to tightly integrate with your own Apps Script code and over 30 Apps Script services with support for Google Drive, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, and more. 

We’ll also explain how you can use data from BigQuery with the BigQuery Connector, plus new enhancements coming soon.

As always, you’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions (even if they’re not directly related to the session topic) and receive answers live from AppSheet experts.  Pro tip: the best way to get your questions answered is by adding them in advance to the comments section below!

With our new series of AppSheet Office Hours, it’s our goal to provide a trusted space where you can receive support and guidance along your app creation journey. We hope to see you there!

Meeting information:

Featured Guests

Staff

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Thu, Apr 14, 2022 11:00 AM PDT
End:
Thu, Apr 14, 2022 12:00 PM PDT
31 Comments
Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks everyone for joining us last week for AppSheet Office Hours! Here is the recap post, including:

• An overview of the NEW Apps Script integration capabilities and write functionality in the BigQuery data source
  • The session recording, including live demonstrations and example use cases
  • Supporting resources and written answers to your questions

Check it out! 

Scott_Nesbitt
Silver 2
Silver 2

Is this video restricted?

You should be able to access here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flDb5Y8xDuI

Nope, not available there either:

Scott_Nesbitt_0-1649959781382.png

@Scott_Nesbitt if you weren't able to join us live, you can see the recording now from the same YouTube link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flDb5Y8xDuI and as mentioned, if you're having trouble viewing it, I would try opening it in an incognito window. Hope this helps! Thank you.

Open it on incognito

jp9219
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

I did something similar as well with changing a Sheet value.  I needed it to trigger automation so then I ran a function in the script to tell AppSheet that the row was added / updated so that it could trigger the appropriate automation tasks as needed.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @mariomnzc as expressed here, this is not possible at the moment:

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/6035282-call-apps-script-from-an-automation#h_3dd892f4c4

Section "quotas and limitations", last sentence

While AppSheet can not access return values from scripts, I guess there is no reason the script couldn't put return information into a Google Sheet (or other data source) which is accessible to AppSheet. Not as instantaneous as would normally be expected from a function call, but depending on the circumstances it might be worthwhile.

As an example, long before I started playing around with AppSheet, I had developed some scripting to upload sheet data into BigQuery. This currently runs as an over night job, but I could have it triggered from AppSheet and modify the script to write back completion or errors to another tab in the sheet. This would provide a rudimentary approach to being able to write data to BigQuery.

mariomnzc
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Hi, i would like to return values from an apps script call from Appsheet, i dont know if this is actually posible.

You will want to use URLFetchApp() inside of your Apps Script. You can use this to call the AppSheet API.   

https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/url-fetch/url-fetch-app

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1979979-invoking-the-api

We will plan to add an example of this to the example Scripts in the help article. https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/6048537-use-the-appsheet-apps-script-examples-project

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

Currently, only the stand-alone version is supported for Apps Script integration, but is there any possibility to include the container-bound version in the future?

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/6035282-call-apps-script-from-an-automation

I asked a representative of the citizen developer community, and he said that when they think of Apps Script, a majority of them think of the Container-bound version.

I would like to know the AppSheet Team's concerns and any technical difficulties in supporting the container-bound version.
I would like to share AppSheetTeam's thoughts with our customers and citizen developers, and provide feedback on their input regarding container-bound.

Thanks,

François_vrkn
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

When creating and saving a PDF from a Google Doc Template via the bot functionnality of AppSheet, the PDF produced is not identical in formatting to the original document. Problems include changes in the margins, changes in page break positions, and other such formatting issues.

Are you currently working on this to eliminate those problems in formatting? If so, when do you think it will be resolved? Does an alternative solution exist?

Thank you! 🙂

Pete_Bros
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

I've just found out that you guys are organising such events and I'm amazed!

I'd be great if you touched topics like embedding external websites' content within GAS apps, e.g. with using IFrame element, but I assume that it requires AppSheet to be a separate Global Object within Apps Script (which in my current knowledge is not). Or similar layout manipulations with HTML/CSS.

Looking forward for seeing the AppSheet - Apps Script cooperation possibilities!

Cool
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Bonjour Appsheet est formidable en ce qui concerne la facilité dans la conception d'application et la gestion des données en générale mais imprimer les états n'est pas chose facile. Ce que je souhaite c'est pouvoir directement concevoir mais états et les imprimer (ou exporter en PDF) depuis Appsheet. Je sais qu'il y a une manière de le faire par workflow ou actions mais complexe et pas assez expliquer. Merci de nous aider à imprimer des états depuis Appsheet.

About this, I think it's a valid opinion since AppSheet advertises itself as a no-code platform and reports (eventhough you can make them via GDocs/MSWord) but the whole process of Automation module + Template + Expressions can be intimidating to some people

I find the Bots fairly straightforward, the big problem is the template outputs. Page formatting is bad, it seems impossible to make page breaks maintain into a PDF from a Word template and if a Google Doc is used, they work in the PDF but not when the PDF is subsequently exported to Word. In addition, there are certain very annoying limitations in Google Docs like for example the lack of conditional table cell formatting.