Allowing for dynamic templates - easy change

Allowing users to generate templates on the fly is obviously a great update for AppSheet. This feature request proposes an easy way to do it:

Instead of using Document ID in the task, let's use a "/path/filename" similar to what is used in a File-type column. 

In addition to being a simple change, now with the new ability to launch Apps Scripts from within the app, I believe this is an excellent time to introduce this feature. 

Thank you!

Update:  More explanation

By "on the fly" I meant dynamically during the app's runtime. The template change in this case would be initiated by the user or the app's automation, not by the creator. This is the idea.  

Here's my desired scenario. I want to generate a report, but based on the data being represented, I want to be able to choose between different preset templates automatically while the app is running. If the app's creator can specify a /path/filename instead of DocID, in this case, a script can be launched from within the app to copy the desired template to overwrite the existing template file. I have seen that the template is loaded each time a file is to be generated without requiring a save to the app's definition, so I believe this dynamic file replacement is possible. 

If the template field in the task, not only accepts a static /path/filename, but would also accept an expression, oh that would be awesome, you wouldn't even need an Apps Script.

Another desired scenario, I have two apps for the same customer (with a single launcher), a wide-audience app and a control app available to administration that controls the behavior of the wide-audience app, for example permissions, but not only that. With a /path/filename, it would be possible for the users of one app to set templates for another app (with relevant folder permissions). 

Status Open
2 4 310
4 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I don't think I agree with this request, but I'm also a bit confused about it.

What do you mean by "on the fly"? Editors can already create templates "on the fly", by clicking the "Create" button, no?

How does using a relative file path provide any benefit compared to using the DocID?

To me, using the DocID seems easier. If I need to change the template, all I need to do is copy the id from the URL of the template, and paste it into the field. No need to open the file-picker, and no need to verify the exact path to the file.

Also, using the DocID provides another benefit, the template file can be anywhere on your drive, or even on a shared drive, while a relative path would restrict its location to being underneath the GSheet or default app folder. Although I suppose you could argue such a restriction would lead to better forced file organization 🙂

Joseph_Seddik
Gold 4
Gold 4

Thanks Marc for the comment; it made me realize my request wasn't clear enough.

By "on the fly" I meant dynamically during the app's runtime. The template change in this case would be initiated by the user or the app's automation, not by the creator. This is the idea.  

Also, I wouldn't naturally prefer a forced organization for anything over an apparent flexibility 🙂 So I'm with you regarding the benefit of DocID.  

Here's my desired scenario. I want to generate a report, but based on the data being represented, I want to be able to choose between different preset templates automatically while the app is running. If the app's creator can specify a /path/filename instead of DocID, in this case, a script can be launched from within the app to copy the desired template to overwrite the existing template file. I have seen that the template is loaded each time a file is to be generated without requiring a save to the app's definition, so I believe this dynamic file replacement is possible. 

If the template field in the task, not only accepts a static /path/filename, but would also accept an expression, oh that would be awesome, you wouldn't even need an Apps Script.

Another desired scenario, I have two apps for the same customer (with a single launcher), a wide-audience app and a control app available to administration that controls the behavior of the wide-audience app, for example permissions, but not only that. With a /path/filename, it would be possible for the users of one app to set templates for another app (with relevant folder permissions). 

I hope this clarifies.. 

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Oh I see. Yah that's a way different request than I thought it was.

Joseph_Seddik
Gold 4
Gold 4

I'm lucky you thought it differently 🙂 I updated the original post. Thanks Marc!!