CSV Import feature maps to Display Name

Currently, the CSV Import feature only maps column headers of CSV import file to literal column name of the table in AppSheet. Many times, the column names in our tables follow a technical naming convention and we use the "Display name" feature of the column to show users a more human-friendly column name. However, if we want to provide users with a template to upload CSV data, the column header in the CSV file cannot match to the "Display name" value of the column. It only matches to the literal column name. I would like to make the CSV import process more user friendly by being able to customize column headers on the CSV template.

Status Open
1 4 387
4 Comments
dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4
KingsGuava
Silver 1
Silver 1

Love it! I'll remove this idea and send my votes to that one. 

I searched for other ideas related to the one I made and couldn't find yours. Thanks for pointing it out!

Peter75
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I had the same problem and came up with idea to set a column's "DISPLAY NAME" based on CONTEXT("Host"), because when exporting view to CSV, the CONTEXT("Host") is "Server".

So you can conditionally set column name based on that criteria with something like that:
IFS(CONTEXT("Host") <> "Server", "Some nice column name")
So in CSV you will have your column name as in table.

Import is always using column names as in table so that will be no problem.

KingsGuava
Silver 1
Silver 1

That is a really good idea! I'm gonna try it next time