Deploy app, but do not allow copy

Hello, 

Would it be possible to add a feature that allows the owner of an application to authorize or not its copy?

You can look at this discussion thread for more information.

Thank you

Status Open
2 3 164
3 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Reviewing the included thread, I understand that you want to give "View Definition" access to an app but NOT allow copy of the app.

Even if the copy ability WAS disabled, what would stop the user from just manually copying the View Definition details into a new/blank app definition?  Sure it may take longer and maybe a deterrent for some but a persistent person can still replicate the app logic rather easily.

jean-mi
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

@WillowMobileSys 

when you share your application, you can grant permissions to the user. 

If you select: permission = "view definition" the user cannot edit the application.

jeanmi_0-1688476501698.png

This is exactly what I show in the thread image. The user cannot edit the application. But he can copy it. And therefore circumvent the rules put in place. 

jeanmi_1-1688478131161.png

Then if user can copy the database

jeanmi_2-1688478306344.png

If there is sensitive data that you don't want to share because it's private, then by copying the app, the user gets everything back. (Problème RGPD and PII ?)

If you shared your source (google sheet) with restrictions on the columns so that he can't access or modify them, that's screwed too.

The idea is that I want to share an application and some of the data sources that I choose. I still own the definition but I want him to be able to deploy it.

I think, the owner of the application must be able to decide whether or not the application can be copied.

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

@jean-mi wrote:

If there is sensitive data that you don't want to share because it's private, then by copying the app, the user gets everything back. (Problème RGPD and PII ?)

I see now.  Copying of the app definition is NOT the problem.  It's that they can copy the data along with it and therefore potentially have access to sensitive data they might have been able to view in the app.

I totally agree 1000% but it probably should be explicitly pointed out in the Feature Idea description that it is the copying of the data that is at issue and not necessarily the copying of the app definition.