New Automation Task: Parallel Operation

MultiTech_0-1681223222063.png

Something kind of like a "Branch on condition"

• But instead of doing 'either/or' it does both, making use of my parallelization from my license.

This would give me the ability to do two things at once, possibly more if it's allowed, with the understanding that each would execute as a single process (not making use of parallelization).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My specific use case

• I've got a script that I want to kick off through a bot
  • But this script takes longer than the automation "timeout" window
  • The script continues, since it's separate from the bot, so it finishes what it's doing
  • But any subsequent tasks in the bot fail, since the script call "timed out"

If I can run two things in parallel, I can do the following:

1. Run my script
  2. Start a wait step, waiting for a condition to be fulfilled (which will be fulfilled by the script)

When the script finally finishes, no matter how long that takes (5 min to 30 days!) the wait step will finally kick off after it "realizes" that the script is done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, thanks for considering

Small moonwalker.gif

Status Open
3 3 212
3 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

ICYMI, "call a script" tasks have a "run asynchronously" option.

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

By default, don't Bots run in parallel?  If so, couldn't you already do what you are asking with 2 different Bots?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

@Marc_Dillon wrote:

ICYMI, "call a script" tasks have a "run asynchronously" option.

This only means that the subsequent bots won't make the current sync wait.

@WillowMobileSys wrote:

By default, don't Bots run in parallel?  If so, couldn't you already do what you are asking with 2 different Bots?

I kinda came to that conclusion a little after I made the post. 😋 But it could be helpful to be able to do something like this in the future - if they pick it up.