Recognize (Enum base-type REF) like REFs - and stop changing the column type

AppSheet automatically detects the column type when you use an app formula.   If you're de-referencing a value from another table, typically the system just takes whatever type settings that are on the column you're de-referencing... and applies that to the column with the de-reference formula.

This can be helpful to speed up setting a column type... except when I don't want the column type to be a hard reference, and instead an enum-reference.

The system will always change my de-referenced "reference" from the (enum base-type REF) to a REF; and since I specifically don't want the reverse reference in this case... I have to continually re-set the column back to the Enum - the system keeps turning it back into a hard-REF.

------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice for the system to recognize an Enum (base-type REF) as the same as a REF... and NOT change my column type.

Status Open
5 5 132
5 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Same for a de-references LIST value... 

If I've got a physical column, in which I'm pulling a VC list from another table - the system tries to continually turn the column with the de-reference into a LIST column type.  And since you can't have a list as a physical column, it breaks; but I already had things put right, and the system put them wrong.

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/Editor-insists-on-changing-Enum-Ref-to-Ref-whe...

Response on my support ticket on Friday was that it was submitted to Engineering for review.

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

My man :+1:

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Why can I not "like" responses in the category, @AndrewB ?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

:+1:  (^_^)