Update more features for calendar view

I see the Calendar of Appsheet is very poor and difficult to control for users like google calendar or other no-code platforms. These are some bugs I think Appsheet should consider updating in the future:

1. Can not modify color groups for categories. So it is very inconvenient for the user. For example, you want to format "pass" as green, "fail" as red, and "considering" status as yellow. You can not format the rule on the calendar view and you can not define the color for each status you want.

Color group auto show, user can not modify color manualColor group auto show, user can not modify color manual

2. Wasting too many steps to show detail. On the month view, when you click on a title, you can not view the detail right now, AppSheet will jump to the day view, and you have to click on the title which you want to see again to show the detail view. I think AppSheet should update a feature, and show a popup for detail when the user clicks on a title on month view.

After click to a title in month view appsheet jump to a day view istead show the detailAfter click to a title in month view appsheet jump to a day view istead show the detailAfter click to a title in a day or week view appsheet will show detail viewAfter click to a title in a day or week view appsheet will show detail view

3. Can't hold the mouse and move to change the time or date. With Google Calendar or many no-code platforms. you only click and move the title to change the date and time start and end. But with the AppSheet calendar view, you can not process anything on the views, it only clicks to show detail. Please update the feature to accept the user to move the title to another date and time to change, it is very convinces for users.

Thank a lot.

Hien Nguyen

Status Open
18 14 1,615
14 Comments
IjeomaO
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

I was facing the same road blocks with 2 issues you pointed out. 

1.  Color coding 
  2. And battling with flow of views

I spent a whole day until I finally realized that it was not capable.

Appsheet should give us more access to modify CSS. I definitely understand that this is a "code-less" system however, there should be an option for those who do have knowledge.

I feel that the focus is too much on Google integrations and not on the actual functionality of app development.

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

@IjeomaO wrote:

I feel that the focus is too much on Google integrations and not on the actual functionality of app development.

Good observation 

BPNE
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@hien_nguyen  Just a note: You can change the colors by categories. You have to create a Color column and set it in the Category field of the view.
For example, you can write this formula:
SWITCH([Status], "Pass", "Green", "Fail", "Red", "Considering", "Yellow", "Black")

For the remaining points I completely agree.

blaineiler
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Similar to the last item, I would like the ability to drag and drop calendar entries from one day to another. We use appsheet for production management, but I am struggling to get my scheduling team to use it proactively. They are using a legacy sheets file structured as a calendar since it is more user friendly and visually understandable for them. 

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

We would love to see updates on calendar view. Current calendar views are just unusable 90% of the time due to its inefficiency. Currently calendar view does not even support event actions. 

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.01.16 PM.png

Recognizing the evolving needs of our community, I'd like to suggest a potential enhancement to our current offering. While the calendar integrations are not upto the mark and its unusable 90% of the time, embedding functionalities like a Gantt chart can propel our user experience to new heights. Given the recent unveiling of our revamped desktop UI, this seems like a timely addition. AppSheet's native capabilities might not encompass Gantt charts at the moment, but integrating this feature could serve as a game-changer for many business applications. Drawing from contemporary design inspirations, I believe the fusion of a calendar and Gantt chart view could set a new standard in application development. Thoughts from AppSheet team would be highly appreciated.

Screen Recording 2023-10-10 at 10.59.50 PM.gif

veneer
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

We've been trying to roll out a timesheet system but the user feedback is not positive when it comes to the calendar. They see it as a huge step back from the current system we're using. 

There is plenty of room for improvement but at the absolute minimum having basic features like drag and drop, copy and paste and also extending or shortening the duration by expanding the box on the calendar view is needed. 

Alan_Thorp
Silver 1
Silver 1

Of all the additions and improvements to Appsheet this is surely the one that would have the greatest impact. So much is related to timing and scheduling, be it future planning or retrospective viewing.

Chat apps and bots may be cool and flashy, but easy visual planning is still such a backbone of everyday work.

peterson
Silver 2
Silver 2

It is interesting that Appsheet has created a Kanban and timeline view already, but only in the database. Why not to have these views inside the app itself. I don't know why. They are focusing on so many other things nobody in the community is asking.

eric_niedergang
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes, I agree

Appsheet calendar view needs more options
=> switch directly to detail view is a must have
=> Google calendar sync
=> move event with the mouse !! 

Thanks

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

Hi @Peter-Google ,

Please listen us.

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Rifad wrote:

encompass Gantt charts at the moment, but integrating this feature could serve as a game-changer for many business applications.

I agree with your opinion.

Timeline charts exist in both Sheets and the AppSheet database, which AppSheet uses as its data source.
However, it is curious that AppSheet, the frontend application platform, has not added that functionality.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/New-View-Type-like-Spreadsheet-Timeline/idi-p/...

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

@takuya_miyai wrote:

However, it is curious that AppSheet, the frontend application platform, has not added that functionality.

You are right. Hey experts, I'm curious about the current appsheet UI. Does the calendar design seem a bit dated? Maybe even from 2007 or older? It might be time for the appsheet team to come together and give it a refresh. Some of the functions don't seem to be delivering the best results anymore. Are things not running smoothly since Google took over? Just some food for thought.

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

Larkbase have a feature display datetimes by changelocation. But Appsheet only display datetime value from dataabase. So this base not conformance for working from many localization.

eric_niedergang
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi,

The calendar view needs to be improved!
From the month or week view, you should be able to access the event details directly.
Native synchronisation with Google Calendar
And more display options (colour, size) for events