ability to place app sheet expression in spreadsheet column.

having the ability to type the expression inside of your spreadsheet with some sort of trigger that lets app sheet know that the text string that follows is to be used as an app formula to be applied to the column. it would greatly reduce the time it takes to do this in app.

for example if you wanted to some by date you would have to write the formula SELECT( Orders[Total Amount], AND( ([Customer] = [_THISROW].[Customer]), ([Order Date] >= [_THISROW].[Order Date]) ) ) ) individually in every column you wish it to apply to. now if you only have a couple columns it's not that bad, but if you have 15,25,50+ columns it is very tedious to do. Where if there was an ability to place the expression inside of the spreadsheet, the task could take less than 60 seconds.

Status Open
0 5 103
5 Comments
dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4
Dohman89
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

That theres been request for a faster/better way to apply formulas for years, and still no plan do do so?

Looked like the json upload can help do everything but the specific thing i would like. 

dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4

I have not explored the technique of specifying column properties using JSON in a spreadsheet cell note. The community experts who commented in the other discussion I linked to likely would be able to confirm whether the technique can be used for the specific purpose you're seeking.

Dohman89
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Thanks for the help, idk why when i was asking in Q&A if its possible to to have an expression effect multiple columns based on a reference(something similar to =query(range,"select Col1,sum(Col2),sum(Col3) group by Col1")..in google sheets) that this wasnt the response given to me.

Now i have to go figure out if theres a way to mass create sheets comments, if not copy/paste is still 100x's faser than opening 2 windows pasting formula closing said windows and repeating over and over.

dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4

@Dohman89 wrote:

idk why when i was asking in Q&A if its possible to to have an expression effect multiple columns based on a reference(something similar to =query(range,"select Col1,sum(Col2),sum(Col3) group by Col1")..in google sheets) that this wasnt the response given to me

Likely because it's unclear what you're asking and doesn't sound related to the topic of Sheets notes, which is essentially undocumented functionality anyway.

@Dohman89 wrote:

a way to mass create sheets comments

Apps Script setNote