export table definition

Hi,

I have been using AppSheet since early 2018, the app I wrote still runs great. I live on a small island in Puget Sound and our crew uses the app running on an iPad to check people on to our ferry. Daily reports are generated very night, and I recently noticed that we had logged about 115,00 boardings since April 2018. Very cool.

The crew asked me to create a "training" version of the app that new people can train on. Easy, I thought. Copy the app (which I had done for test versions in the past), rename it, and there are your training wheels.

Turns out copying the app was a mess, I had to chat with support for about three hours in two sessions to see if they could figure out what had gone wrong. One table just refused to connect to a new source, and when it finally did some of the expressions attached to several columns were lost. (Those are expressions in the app, not on the spreadsheet, which has no formulas anywhere).

So there I was, with the original and the clone open in different windows, copying and pasting expressions from one to the other. You can imagine my frustration. My request, which I suggested years ago: export table definitions to a text file, a spreadsheet, anything. You know, kind of like a source file, to coin a phrase (haha). It doesn't need to be something that could then be imported, just a file with all the logic visible at the same time rather than going back and forth in the editor. As it is for a while I just created a file with all of the expressions added manually, but in the end I gave up.

Maybe such a thing now exists and I've missed it?

Thanks!

Status Open
2 3 193
3 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

This?

Marc_Dillon_0-1685899446725.png

syedfaheemuddin
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Is there a way to import or export this between apps?

Only a part of it. Like just a behaviour or ux

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

No