get View name and Table name (not the current one)

It would be useful if we could get the view name and the table name when using show if (in views) and security filter (in tables).
at the moment, we can get only the current view name, but my suggestion it's getting the table name and the view name even if it's not the current one

Status Open
0 4 587
4 Comments
dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4

How would you indicate the view whose name you want if you don't already know the view's name?

davidPaiva
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@dbaum 
could have other uses, but here is how I would use it:

I am creating a modular app, meaning that you can go in a settings view and enable/disable modules.
Modules would include a group of views/tables, the dev can set those modules using a module table (that would list the views names and table names on the module).

In a view Show If, you would create a generic expression where you would look if the view name is listed in any of the actives modules.
Yes, you can do that just put a string with the view name, but with this generic expression you would not need to care about changing every time you change a view name and you could only copy and paste the expression in every Show If of all your views

And in theory, this is a info that the appsheet already have stored, so it would just need to return it to us using a function.

dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4
I see now. I thought you meant you wanted to be able to return any view’s name from anywhere. Actually, you want to be able to return a view’s name within expressions for that view’s own properties. Something like [_THISVIEW].
davidPaiva
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@dbaum exactly.
It also would be useful _thistable, but at least I can do a workaround and make a column called THISTABLE to solve it