how to use custom list trigger in a playbook

Hey Community Members,

Can anyone guide me how to use custom list trigger in the playbook. I tried creating a playbook with trigger as a custom list but it seems it is not working as I anticipated. Below are the sequence of steps I performed:

1. Created a custom list with below details, using navigation Settings-> Environment->Custom Lists

Identifier Category Environment
Brute Force AttackUseCaseLG
Access Failed LoginUseCaseLG
Remote login failureUseCaseLG

2. Created a playbook with using navigation: Response->Playbook

From Trigger Section I selected "Custom List" . In Paramerters I selected contails () and in Choose Parameter I tried with multiple combinations: At first I provided "UseCase", then tried with "Category=Usecase", then with Categories=UseCase. But none worked for me. 

dhirajtec_2-1712759587369.png

dhirajtec_1-1712759511035.png

The requirement here is playbook should get trigger if it finds any of the three Usecases mentioned in "Identifier" section of custom list.

Would really appreciate any help here.

1 3 103
3 REPLIES 3

I believe what you are looking for is: 

Custom list trigger = "name of your custom list" 

Did you create your custom list in an environment that is accessible via the environment where your playbook resides?

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 3.35.05โ€ฏPM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 3.32.25โ€ฏPM.png

Hey @dnehoda 

Thanks for the response. To answer your question: Yes the custom list is accessible to the playbook as they both are in the same environment. 

Unfortunately, this (Custom list trigger = "name of your custom list" ) is still not working for me. As I'm not sure what to use in the name of the custom list. 

The way I created the custom list is - I downloaded the template - filled the values - and renamed the template as "Usecase_name" and imported the template.

After your response, I tried changing the custom list trigger, but the playbook didn't trggered as anticipated. Can you please let me know where exactly I am doing wrong?? 

dhirajkumar07_0-1712922467245.png

Thanks a lot for the help ๐Ÿ™‚

I will preface this with I have not played around with custom lists that much, but in the little bit of testing, I noticed the description saying "This will trigger the playbook on each alert containing an entity which belongs to a custom list."

I'm not sure if your usecase_name is an entity, in some ways it feels more like a tag and so I am wondering if there might be a better way to trigger this playbook to run rather than a list.

I kind of envision the list to be something good for if we ingest a user who is new hire or an ip that is a known bad, we have those things on a list and then when we see that entity playbook X runs in response to that entity.

I'm wondering if either a tag name or perhaps a custom trigger where you could even set the playbook to run based on the rule name wouldn't be a better way to kick this off?