Export to Google Sheets from AppSheet

There are some cases when a user needs to export data from an AppSheet app and CSV/PDF may not be sufficiently consumable. This is an example of how to export data from AppSheet to a template in Google Sheets via Apps Script.

Here we have a sales automation app for tracking customer leads assigned to sales reps. Let's say the sales rep has two needs (1) "I need to export all the leads from my region into a Google Sheet" and (2) "I need to generate a quote for a specific customer in Google Sheets." We can accomplish both from an AppSheet app.

Export Example #1: "Export Report" action

export_sheet_report.gif

Export Example #2: "Generate Quote" action

export_quote_report.gif

If you would like to export some data from your AppSheet app to Google Sheets, you can follow the instructions below:

Instructions to Replicate:

Step 1: Copy the Apps Script file located here

alafontant_0-1694815424796.png
Step 2: Add the Apps Script automation to your app. You will need to authorize the project after you select the file.

alafontant_1-1694815747244.png

Step 3: Select the right function from dropdown list. Select the exportSheets function to paste columns of data. Select the exportToSpecificCells if you need to put specific data from the app into specific cells in your Sheets template.

alafontant_2-1694815877358.png

exportSheets
sheetTemplate The link to your template sheet. For example:
"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9bPwHUoSsM7QDjb7C55_pjdGTnBNign/edit"
spreadsheetName The new name for the spreadsheet after the export. For example:
"Export for: " & [customer]
sheetName The existing name of the sheet to paste the data. For example:
"Sheet1"
userEmails The recipients email addresses. You can have multiple as long as they are comma-separated.
"user1@test.com", "user2@test.com"
startRow The first row where data should be pasted. For example, to start at the second row:
startColumn The start column where data should be pasted. For example, to start at the first column:
columns The columns of data that should be included in the export. This will not include the column headers, so will need to include them in your Sheets template, like this template

For example:

LIST(

SELECT(Orders[Order ID], ([Customer] = [_THISROW].[Customer])),

SELECT(Orders[Customer Name], ([Customer] = [_THISROW].[Customer])),

SELECT(Orders[Quantity], ([Customer] = [_THISROW].[Customer]))

)

exportToSpecificCells
sheetTemplate The link to your template sheet. For example:
"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9bPwHUoSsM7QDjb7C55_pjdGTnBNign/edit"
spreadsheetName The new name for the spreadsheet after the export. For example:
"Export for: " & [customer]
userEmails The recipients email addresses. You can have multiple as long as they are comma-separated.
"user1@test.com", "user2@test.com"
content For every piece of data you want to include, you need a key and then the content. The script works by finding the key in the template and replacing it with the content you have included. In your Sheets template, you will need to put your key in brackets {key}, but you only need to put the key in quotes in the AppSheet expression. Take a look at this template for an example. 

For example:

LIST(
TEXT("Customer Name"),
   TEXT(LOOKUP([reference_id], "customers", "customer_id", "full_name")),

TEXT("Company Name"),
   TEXT(LOOKUP([reference_id], "customers", "customer_id", "company_name")),

TEXT("Address"),
   TEXT(LOOKUP([reference_id], "customers", "customer_id", "address"))
)

Step 4: Create your Sheets template. You template will vary depending on the function you need.

exportSheets: Your Sheets template only needs to include the column headers for each of the columns that you pass into the function.

exportToSpecificCells: Your Sheets template needs to include the "keys" in every cell where you want to include the data. The key should be between brackets, e.g., {Customer Name}

Please note, this is merely one example of how to use Apps Script to export to Google Sheets and alternative implementations are certainly possible.

Quick Links
Example App (remember to authorize the apps script project in the automation tab if you copy this template)
Apps Script File
Sheets Report Template
Sheets Quote Template

13 4 2,473
4 REPLIES 4

Great tip, thanks!

Thank you for your hard work.

Great, Thank you so much

This is awesome. Thanks so much for putting this together. As a beginner and practically no coding experience, this took me a while to get the result that I wanted but now that I did, it works great. I'm using both versions (sheets and slides).I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a way to insert hyperlinks? I have tried a bunch of different ways but had no luck.

2. Same with images, is there a way to insert and image with a link?

3. How can I change the save location of the files? The sheets script saves the files to my main folder while the slides script saves the file to the same location where the script is saved in my GDrive.

4. For the slide script, is there a way to combine both functions at the same time? I have an initial slide where I want to insert text into specific locations and then have the repeat slides for the rest of the file. 

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space