Here is a solution for large Android font sizes breaking apps

I've been struggling with my table views breaking when users with poor vision have enlarged their Android system font size. (This doesn't happen in IOS, only Android.) Here's how I solved it.

• Change all table views to deck views. Set up your deck views as follows: Use only Primary Header and Summary Column. Turn main image off. Turn action bar off. This gets the width close to table view width but doesn't break.
  • Move all Primary Navigation views to Menu Navigation (this fixes crowded text in Primary Navigation, but also fixes the broken + sign buttons).
  • If you need to, you can go through and add Format Rules to make text size smaller like 0.8. This will shrink the font size even when Android adjusts system font size. (Just be aware for users with normal font sizes this may make fonts harder to read). I was able to fix my apps without doing this.
  • Under Settings > Format Rules you can change to Roboto Condensed, which allows more characters per line
4 1 1,438
  • UX
1 REPLY 1

Hi @michael12 thank you for this tip. Can you share some screenshots of what was the problem? In what way the font size was breaking the app?

Top Labels in this Space