How to Prevent Duplicate Records

A very common type of validation youโ€™ll want to add to your app is the ability to restrict people from entering duplicate information.

Such as not being able to add a contact into the โ€œContactsโ€ table if they already exists; same with Products, Clients, Users, VehicleIDs, What-Have-Yous.

Preventing duplicates in this way is very straight-forward in AppSheet; all you need is a validation formula in the Valid If space for the column you want to prevent duplicates on.

Not(In([_THIS], SELECT(Table[Column_Name_for_THIS_Column], [TableID] <> [_ThisRow].[TableID])))

• [Column_Name_for_THIS_Column] needs to be the name of the column for the one youโ€™re trying to validate.
    • i.e. If I was trying to prevent a duplicate User_Name, I could put [User_Name] there - because that is the column that Iโ€™m putting this validation formula on.
    • If I didnโ€™t want the same license plate number entered twice, and I was putting this formula inside the Valid If formula space for the field that records the license plate numbers, I would use [Vehicle_License_Place] or whatever the name of that field is.

What youโ€™re really accomplishing with this formula is youโ€™re pulling a list of all the values from [Column_Name_for_THIS_Column], then youโ€™re seeing if the value entered by the user (thatโ€™s the [_THIS] part of the formula) is inside that list; but youโ€™re also removing from that list the very record youโ€™re working on.

Example

Letโ€™s say I have a Users table with the following properties:

• [User_Name] to collect the names
  • [UserID] to generate a UNIQUEID() for each user (this is marked as the KEY for this table)

If I wanted to prevent duplicate user names, I would put the following formula inside the Valid If formula space for the User_Name column.

NOT(IN([_THIS], SELECT(Users[User_Name], [UserID] <> [_ThisRow].[UserID])))

This would prevent users from being able to enter the same name twice, but still allow them to enter it once.

3X_f_2_f2d3d922da76ee229b62e44bbd17f65383a47710.gif

What's happening in the background (click to open)

When this formula processes, what it does is:

• Generate that list I was talking about (of all the [User_Name] values)
    • while excluding the record that weโ€™ve got open in the form.
  • It then seeโ€™s if the value entered by the user is inside that list
  • Then we reverse that logic
    • because we want things to pass if the answer is FALSE to the IN() formula
      • meaning that the value entered by the user is NOT inside that list
    • the answer to that actual formula will be false - but we need it to produce a true value, in order to pass validation - thatโ€™s why we put the NOT() on there.

If I were to give you an example of this (continuing from the GIF above), the list looks like this:

Matt V, MultiTech Visions

If I came into the form and tried to enter โ€œMatt Vโ€ again:

• the system sees weโ€™ve already got that inside the list (producing a TRUE value for the IN() statement);
    • but since we need a false value in this instance, weโ€™ve wrapped the whole thing in a NOT() (reversing the logic).

34 41 18.6K
41 REPLIES 41

Oh I see. Thank you very much!

This is a better solution designing -

NOT(IN([_THISROW].[Date],SELECT(Doc[Date],
AND([Date]=[_THISROW].[Date],[ID]<>[_THISROW].[ID]))))

Top Labels in this Space