How to set a default value where original entry is null?

In this use case, I have a pre-populated data source which includes "null" or blank columns intended for later user input.  When the user edits the row, I want to ensure an initial value is set (0) if the column is blank.  If the user has specified a value (ie is not blank) then it's left unchanged.  In this case, the user is updating a DETAIL VIEW with several QUICK EDIT columns defined.

To achieve this I used a combination of auto compute and update behaviour settings, as follows:

• Auto Compute > Initial Value is set to 0 (zero)
  • Update Behaviour > Reset on edit is set to expression ISBLANK([_THIS])

A synch action is needed to enforce the new logic, so I structured my Detail View to require one input (in another field) is made before showing/allowing the remaining fields for be updated. 

This pattern effectively bridges the gap in functionality where the INITIAL VALUE is "only computed when adding new rows, not when updating existing rows"  and APP FORUMLAS are not effective (in this case because it's not a new row and it's a quick edit update in a Detail View).

Sharing in case of use and with every expectation that there are other, perhaps more elegant, way of achieving the same result 🙂 .  Enjoy.

2 0 64
0 REPLIES 0
Top Labels in this Space