Tracking App Link Clicks

App usage can be tracked in a few different ways:

Hereโ€™s an example of an app that is specifically using a couple Actions to track clicks on links in an app.

Every time a row is selected a โ€˜Grouped Actionโ€™ runs two actions:

1. Open URL: The user is routed to an external link included in the data table
  2. Log Click: The data of the โ€˜Clicksโ€™ column is changed to add 1 to the current value

You can test the functionality live with this app and see the link click count increase

4 5 1,273
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Peter,

I want to track how many times a particular action button in my app has been clicked.

Referring to option 3 in your original list of suggestions, when I use the Grouped Actions option, do not see โ€œLog Clickโ€ as an option. I do not even see any data related operation.

Any ideas?

This might help. You need to look at a changecounter type column

Hi Simon,

I looked the link you gave, the changecounter type column only triggers/increments when a row changes. In my case, nothing is changing; user is just clicking on an action button.

I would have thought the options under grouped action set would have allowed me to increment a counter manually (or modify a row to trigger changecounter type column to increment), but I donโ€™t see any such option as you can see in the screenshot I pasted earlier.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Hassan

I realized my mistake: LogClick action obviously had to be created first as its a custom action Peter mentioned as an example.

But when I create this โ€œgroupedโ€ action to execute the sequence of action, the action button for the group action just does not show up on my detail view. Any inputs on that?

Hi Hassan - I would make sure you set your โ€˜groupedโ€™ action to โ€˜Display overlayโ€™ or โ€˜Display prominentlyโ€™ (and make sure that action is associated with the connected table you want it to appear with).

3X_c_d_cdedaeda3b557476897664b45ad8a6b9bc499c18.png

I would also make sure youโ€™ve set the โ€˜Open URLโ€™ and โ€˜Log Clickโ€™ actions as โ€˜Do not displayโ€™.

Top Labels in this Space