Assistance Needed for Deploying Google Drive via Intune on Windows Devices

Hello Google Community,

I'm reaching out for advice on deploying Google Drive as a silent install on Windows devices using Intune. During a recent interaction with Google Workspace Support, I learned that Google Drive is currently only available as an .exe file, which is incompatible with Intune's requirements for formats like .msi or .appx.

Key Points:

• Objective: Silent installation of Google Drive across our organization's computers managed by Intune.
  • Challenge: Intune does not accept the .exe format of the Google Drive installer.
  • Google's Response: Direct deployment through Intune isn't currently possible due to format limitations. Manual installation is the only suggested method, for each device/user.
  • Personal Troubleshooting Attempt: I used a third-party tool to convert the GoogelDriveFSSetup.exe file to a .msi file. I deployed it in Intune>Apps>Line-of-business app to a group. It installed the "GoogleDriveSetup" file but it didn't actually install Google Drive. It still required the user to click on it and run the install. I want to try and avoid as much user interaction so all they have to do is locate the app and sign-in.  I will be creating a script that will locate this file "GoogleDriveFSSetup.exe" on user's computers and launch the install. I will keep you posted on how this turns out. I can't be the only one having these issues. 

Seeking Suggestions:

Any insights, workarounds, or alternative methods to achieve this deployment would be immensely helpful. Your expertise and experience could provide valuable guidance in resolving this challenge.

Thanks for your support!

Best, Cristian Farias

5 REPLIES 5

This might give you some insight on the intune side of things. Looks like you either need to re-package with .intunewin or .msi

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1312151/how-to-deploy-apps-with-exe-file-extensi...

When I converted the GoogleDriveFSSetup.exe file to an .msi, the setup file is pushed to my users computer, not the actual Google Drive app. 

I will give the .intunewin format a try. 

Has this worked for you?

If yes, would you mind sharing your experience please?

I deployed the file as an .msi. It's one less step our users have to follow by skipping the browser install process.

I converted the .exe file to a .intunewin. It failed to deploy on my end user's device. I can't remember the error or else I would include more details. 

Hope that was a little help. 

Hi guys, I recently tested the deployment of Google drive for desktop app on Windows 10/11 devices using Intune admin center by creating .intunewin file. Please refer to the Step-by-step guide for more information: 

Hope this helps.

https://cloudinfra.net/install-google-drive-for-desktop-using-intune/