Can't move from My Drive to shared drive

I would like something to be done about not being able to move files from My Drive to a shared drive if there are files from a different owner or domain. I can't cancel my old Google subscription.

1 3 105
3 REPLIES 3

@atsuo-naka1004 As you don't "own" the files, you don't have the permissions to move them to a shared drive.  This is because shared drives effectively become the owner of the files.

If you have an account, say a gmail or another workspace that owns the files, give that account access to the shared drive and move them while logged into the account.  HTH, KAM

Do you think all accounts will be able to handle tens of thousands of files changing to different owners? It's impossible, so I'm telling you to make the first layer the strongest authority so you can move.

This question has already been answered positively in these threads:
This utility helps you do what seems impossible manually.

As @KAM correctly noted, only the current owner of the files has the right to transfer ownership. What to do when you have a bunch of files with different owners is described in the FAQ on the product page:
https://apps.myrout.es/tfo#h.s21osb39bgn9
In short: those users who are willing to assist you in the transfer of ownership can
- apply the mentioned utility on the root folder,
- check the "skip other people's files" checkbox,
- generate a special URL, and
- pass this URL to you for file migration.
After migration, the files will retain their IDs, URLs, versions and metadata.

If some file owners are unavailable, you can copy the remaining files. File IDs, their URLs, and versions will be lost in this case. In addition, copying places a significant load on the Google Drive infrastructure, so if you copy a large number of files (more than 5000), you will experience performance degradation for Google Drive API operations. Therefore, transfer of ownership is strongly recommended despite the need to involve third parties.