Google Voice Error: Unable to Assign Phone Number. Try again.

I'm trying to create a Google Voice phone number for my organization. I'm logged into my Google Workspace and I'm following the steps to assign myself a number. After typing in the service address and clicking to assign a number I get an error that says "Unable to assign a phone number. Try again." 

Why am I receiving this error? Also, why is Google's system so bad that it doesn't have anything that explains why this error could be arising? 

4 13 3,076
13 REPLIES 13

Having the same issue myself right now, been happening for a full week. Did you ever find what was causing it?

@dd76 We're going on 11 days of the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Nope, it's still happening to us as well, almost a month at this point. Posted on multiple Google Voice forums and all I get are crickets... Hoping we make the switch to O365 soon.

Did you get it to work? You have to assign a license to the users via the administrator. It worked for me. Also I could be wrong but I think you have to use the area code as your registered number as well 

Thank you for your quick reply, dd76. Adding phone numbers = adding licenses. I don't understand how they wouldn't follow the money on this one and get it fixed even if for their own best interests.

What worked for me was i had to assign the users a license. Go to subscriptions, Google voice starter then youโ€™ll see licenses and assign the users you want to a license. I also believe once you do this you also have to assign a number with the same area code that you signed up with. Hope this helps 

Same error regardless of those steps unfortunately. Ultimately had to open up a ticket with Workspace support (after behind given the "Legacy Support" privilege by our Super admin. Waiting for an update on the ticket now. 

Same thing happening here! I assigned the license and did everything it says in the guidelines step by step and I am still getting the same message. Were you able to finally get it to work?  I cant contact actual support unless I upgrade to Enteprise, but why would I do that if what I have already paid for isn't working?! 

Haven't gotten it resolved yet.. Eventually had to open up a ticket with workspace support. Waiting for them to update the ticket now, hopefully its a fix that most people can use.

Our support case is still open. unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback! That stinks!! 

Iโ€™m having the same problem in Workspace. Google Voice app requires a location, but wonโ€™t accept any address entered, indicating it is not a valid address.  Regardless of browser, OS, incognito modeโ€ฆthe hoops theyโ€™ve made me jump through all useless.  Now Google claims (though if true, why all the different ways they tried for me to enter the address differently, including videoing it and sending it to them, along with a meta file?) that I must send them government issued business registration documents, company website, Internet listingsโ€”to prove Iโ€™m a real business before they will allow me to set location and provide a phone number. This is a small hime business. I donโ€™t need an EIN etc., and obviously wonโ€™t be setting up a website just so I can get a Google voice phone number. None of these โ€œrequirements โ€œ were disclosed when I set up the account and Google started billing me. I thought Iโ€™d use Workspace as a platform because Iโ€™m not an IT guy and donโ€™t have an IT department. Big mistake.  So much for the domain I registered through Google Workspace, and all the other time I wasted with setup and trying to get this issue resolved.