Old email address still visible in Workspace

Hi,

I've recently changed my first name and our administrator changed my Workspace email address accordingly (just the prefix before the @). However, in some cases my old email address is still visible. For example, when people log into their Workspace environment and see documents I've shared with them, or when people forward an e-mail to me (they see my new name, but my old email address).

Is there a way that I can fix this?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

James

Solved Solved
0 6 1,294
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @JamesvW It is possible, the setting that controls it is global, and you can find it in the admin console. To switch this setting go to the Directory -> Directory Settings -> Contact Sharing, and click on 'Contact sharing' option - you will see all the possible settings:

Marcin_Milewski_0-1702888677952.png

Just pick as on the screen (Show only primary email address) and your alias won't be shown anymore. 

Have a good day,
Marcin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hey @JamesvW

There might be different reasons why your old address is still visible for the other users.

When the admin is changing the user address in the Admin Console, the old address is automatically assigned as an alias for the account. Then the directory of your organisation might be configured to show both addresses. Another situation is when people to whom you used to send messages, might still have your old address added as a contact, then, when they want to write an email to you, the old address is still proposed as autosuggestion for them.

Changes like switching the address or changing the name also require time to propagate, in some cases it will take up to 24h for the changes to be visible across different services. 

The impact of changing the user address is well documented in detail in HC article. 

I hope this will help, 
Have a great day.
Marcin 

Thank you for your reply! My old e-mail address is indeed noted as an alias. Is it possible to change the configuration in a way that it won't be visible anymore, but the e-mails sent to my old e-mail address will still be forwarded to my new e-mail address?

Hey @JamesvW It is possible, the setting that controls it is global, and you can find it in the admin console. To switch this setting go to the Directory -> Directory Settings -> Contact Sharing, and click on 'Contact sharing' option - you will see all the possible settings:

Marcin_Milewski_0-1702888677952.png

Just pick as on the screen (Show only primary email address) and your alias won't be shown anymore. 

Have a good day,
Marcin

We'll give this a try, thank you very much!

@JamesvW and to add to the answer from @Marcin_Milewski your old email address does not get changed in historic emails, i.e. changing the account will not change the fact you sent emails as previous.name@ and now you have current.name@ (I thought I'd mention is just in case it wasn't obvious)

Of course, e-mails sent are e-mail sent 🙂