Tool to audit multiple header emails - recent Google notification

Today (at least for us) we were notified of a Google change where any emails being received with multiple headers (ie. To: alex@example.com  To: john@example.com  NOT To: alex@example.com, john@examle.com)  will now be rejected by Google. We've been given a month before Google implements this, without any tool that tells us who is sending these.

So the question posed in several communities is: is there a tool to find these malformed emails so that we can either A) notify the sender/vendor that they'll be rejected unless they reconfigure their email system or B) internal systems that may be using this malformation and we need to either update those systems completely or just reconfigure them.

(rhetorical) I haven't looked at the NDA documentation yet, but I'm not sure this type of change would even be in there. (rhetorical)

Solved Solved
4 8 2,132
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As far as I can tell and have discussed with others in the community, there doesn't seem to be any way to preemptively find these messages. I believe our stance will just be that we'll need to question why the vendor isn't following proper email etiquette, and if any internal systems are sending these malformed emails, then address those once we realize we're not receiving them anymore. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hopefully, they will get a bounce message telling them it was rejected.

That’s assuming those senders can receive pounds emails, my primary worry it’s for unmonitored internal systems that send emails/alerts only and do not receive emails or they’re basically vanity email accounts that don’t actually exist

Could you share the complete text of that announcement? We have not received a notification like this, and I would be interested in learning more and what exactly they mean. 

Here’s the announcement we got:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. So they do send out bounce emails, from what I can gather. I am not sure I would worry too much about this, as rejecting emails not conforming to RFC standards is quite common nowadays. Whoever is still sending these "malformed" emails is either having a lot of deliverability issues already or is probably a scammer. 

Or possibly a currently working internal system that sends alerts that doesn’t/can’t receive bounced messages. Without Google offering some insight into knowing what will be affected, it’s kind of frustrating. And realistically it’ll probably be nothing that is affected, but worth knowing that

Well the "insight" is there. Everything will be affected that sends "malformed" email, e.g. that don't conform with the official email standards defined in various RFCs. Specifically, if senders put in multiple headers of the same type that are only allowed to exist once, as per RFC. Google's email listed all of them. 

I am surprised Google has let emails like that go through in the past, actually. Most email servers (and email clients) wouldn't know what to do with an email that contains, for example, three different "To:" headers. Who is the actual recipient here? Which mailbox should I deliver this mail to? All three? Just one? Which one?

I would assume these types of emails are extremely rare. You will probably only see them from self-coded things where the developer didn't know what they were doing or most likely, in a malicious context. 

No established email client or mail server would construct emails like that. And most email providers will block this. 

As far as I can tell and have discussed with others in the community, there doesn't seem to be any way to preemptively find these messages. I believe our stance will just be that we'll need to question why the vendor isn't following proper email etiquette, and if any internal systems are sending these malformed emails, then address those once we realize we're not receiving them anymore. 

Top Solution Authors