A quick question to determine suitability

I am wondering the suitability and some guidance on setup of data for a potential app I wish to create.

A rough outline of the data would look like this:
Formula - A base “recipe” - consists of Ingredients and has “Dispensed Formula”
Ingredients - Consists of Batches (Physical bulk ingredients ordered and received)
Dispensed Ingredients - represents the actual amounts of Ingredient Batches used in Dispensed Formulas
Dispensed Formula - The physical representation of a Formula - contains Dispensed Ingredients; Customer

Is that enough information for someone to answer whether this appears achievable and whether this represents a good fit to the appsheet environment?

0 7 263
7 REPLIES 7

Hello
if I understand correctly:

• A recipe would have many ingredients.

• Ingredients are stored in large and variable quantities.

• Ingredients are used in measured amounts in each recipe.

• and you want to have control of recipes, ingredients, quantities in stock and quantities used.

• I imagine that the recipes end up creating a product (cake, dish, etc.)

• So each recipe could generate one or more products.

Of course, it is possible to do so.

Thanks! yes and you are spot on … I guess I decided the simplest means to an answer was to build it.

I’m not sure I have the entities right but I have

• Formula
    *Formula Ingredient

• Created Formula Product
    *Physical Ingredient Usage

• Ingredient
    *Formula Ingredients
    *Physical Ingredient (bulk)
    **Physical Ingredient Usage

I think that covers what I need, my current dilemma is how to record quantities of those ingredients, especially as they differ between mg, grams, drops and Ideally would move to the next highest unit when appropriate ie 100mg per product but when I make 30 it should show 3g not 3,000mg… but I’ve only just hit this hurdle!

I would do it as follows:

I would use the smallest possible units for the ingredients and then a column that converts it to the unit I need to display.

in this way it is possible to deduct from inventory the quantity that is used and add the quantity that is purchased

It is also easier to work any type of recipe, since that unit is multiplied by the necessary amount and then to show it, it is converted to the unit you require

Thanks, yes I was thinking that and perhaps some check that entered quantities look “right”. It’s somehwat tricky as certain ingredients can be entered as micrograms so would look like .000001 very easy to get the decimal place wrong!

It’s additionally complicated by the fact that some recipes (formulae above) are expressed as percentages which need to be converted to a physical quantity, I guess I need to look at how workflows function!

I also need to check that there’s a means to add an “instruction” top data entry to ensure users know what units they need enter… loving the platform and it seems most things are achievable, thanks for lowering the learning curve a little!

Hello

I can think of a table of equivalences.

In the table you would put the factors to multiply them, so the user can enter the amount they want and select the type of unit. internally the App can carry out the conversion.

Example:

10 kg. >> 10,000 g.

I would do it as follows:

I would use the smallest possible units for the ingredients and then a column that converts it to the unit I need to display.

in this way it is possible to deduct from inventory the quantity that is used and add the quantity that is purchased

It is also easier to work any type of recipe, since that unit is multiplied by the necessary amount and then to show it, it is converted to the unit you require

Top Labels in this Space