A way to determine uploaded file name

A way to set the upload file title. I know in doing that we would be assuming the risk of replacing the current file (as now we can do with generated files), but sometimes its exactly we want.

In some cases, keeping old versions of documents is not useful, as it keep obsolete documents on the database and we cannot create a permanent link for the file (it always changes the link due to the timestamp). I’ve done that replacing the the file directly on the database, but it’s not ideal.

It would help if we could:

1. Option to set a unique title collumn for the file on that row (might create problems cuz its editable - would it save new files everytime it changes? Perhaps be editable only when uploading new file for that field); or

2. Option to remove the timestamp from the saved file’s title (the key collumn would work as the title collumn in suggestion 1, but not editable); or

3. Keeping original file name (most risky, since we cannot make sure its unique per row and might replace files from another fields unintentionally - unless we take additional caution with file folder path to avoid that).

Status Under Review
38 14 1,933
14 Comments
Kyle_Grieb

I would like to set the filename as the uploaded file, knowing that overwrites will occur.

hcquadros

Yes. That would be useful.

Cortex
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@tsuji_koichi Here, if u want to vote for it

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Done it.

kambwili
Silver 1
Silver 1

Feels like this is needed, even if it is just to put it in a separate [File Name] column.

Cortex
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hello, @rob.coronel

I see your reply on my post so i just tag you on the “original one” [better visibility for the Appsheet Team @TDhers ]

Still no answer about this capability, but i highly encourage you to vote for this feature request.

Regards,

rob_coronel
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

Noted @Jeremie, many thanks

Ed_Cottrell
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

This would allow for Editable Templates (via the app) which would add huge power and potential to the platform!!

I’m thinking about a document management (and creation) system, whereby word.doc templates used by the app to create a PDF, or email could be revised by downloading the word.doc template file from the app, editing it and re-uploading it in the app with the same file name such that google drive would auto-version the file and maintain the doc ID which is used in the app definition as the template source.

One could even provide locked fields in the word.doc file so that <> used in the app are not mistakenly changed.

Please, please vote for this request guys, the implications are HUGE - I think???

@praveen

pravse
Staff

Hi all, we’ve discussed this a couple of times in the past, and each time, we shy away from doing it for the same reasons (explained below).

We generally don’t like providing features that can have unintended consequences — i.e. you can do damage unless you have really carefully understood all the ramifications. Here, the common case is that each file name is unique and uniquely identifiable back to the row it is associated with. We do allow you to control the file name by including row id or label. However, we stick on some more to it to uniquefy it (because we found that otherwise, almost always there are duplicates). ANd then the question becomes — did the app creator intend for us to overwrite the file? Or did they do it by mistake (and the last thing we want to do is overwrite data and lose it).

In our choices, we are always very nervous about deleting or overwriting files. We’d much rather have some kind of after-the-fact cleanup mechanism that removes orphaned files (we haven’t done this yet, but I could see providing something like that).

Finally to @Ed_Cottrell’s suggestion, meta-platform features like this (modify a workflow template itself from within an app) are cool and powerful. They blur the lines between “definition time” and “app runtime”. But again, they are pretty advanced features that are very easy to get wrong and break everything. So that’s also something we have shied away from.

Right now, neither of these is on the roadmap for 2021. We’ll continue to engage with you to understand these better, but our current understanding makes us concerned about these feature requests.

mjfed

Hello Praveen,

As a potential workaround, perhaps Appsheet can keep the unique filename mechanism already embedded on the backend, and add another column solely for labeling purposes that keeps the original file name being uploaded. Thoughts?

kambwili
Silver 1
Silver 1

I’ve also thought this can be a good compromise.

Gaius
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

When creating a new file through a Task, the default adds a timestamp to the filename. With an option to not do this. This could also work for uploaded files. Either way, this would definitely improve the business process for my customers.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Under Review
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager