Ability to get compass bearing

Hi, are there any plans to be able to get the compass bearing with an AppSheet app?

Thanks
John

Status Open
3 4 200
4 Comments
Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

JamesHanley
Community Visitor

I second this request.  Trying to build a super simple app for logging the condition of manholes and the approximate direction of pipes entering those manholes.  As of now I just have an 'azimuth' field and need to flip back and forth between a compass app and appsheet and manually enter the compass reading.  It would be nice if there were a way to track and record the azimuth in appsheet.

If this is possible please let me know - thanks.

Jim 

markuspi
Community Visitor

I have nearly the identical requirement, which often shows up when tracking conditions at a location through time.  The azimuth combined with a location can be used to orient a followup user to a view matching an earlier photo.  The image metadata azimuth (if recorded and accessible) might be skewed by the orientation of the camera when taking a photo.  A good argument can be made that device pitch and roll are important for pinning azimuth before tilting the camera to take a shot. 

markuspi
Community Visitor

hmmm.  Full sensor data access may not be supported.  https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Access-Phone-Sensor-Data/m-p/315412

Funny that GPS coordinates are available but other data seemingly not.

Seems like a big miss that would eliminate this otherwise amazing (to me, I don't get out much) app builder.