Ability to Take a Signature and Apply to Multiple Rows

Would be great if in Behavior you could create an action that captures a signature for a columns in the selected rows.

For example: Packages collected at various locations are viewed in a slice. When the packages are delivered to a central location the desired records are selected and an action is applied in which a signature can be captured and applied to the specified column in the rows of that table.

This feature is great for whenever items (packages, merchandise etc…) may change location and or custody this can be recognized with a signature. This feature would really open up a lot of additional options for users.

A collector may record each acquisition each occurrence in its own form creating its own row but may want to recognize a custody change of this acquisitions via a single signature.

A courier may collect multiple packages from various locations, each with its own form and row and may want to recognize the change of custody of those packages with a single signature.

Status Open
1 7 485
7 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

If you create a parent-child relationship between tables, you could have one signature to represent the authorization for all related child records.

Alternatively, if you wish to copy the signature into each row - create an action to pull the signature from one record into another.

Aleksi
Staff

Or… if you have some common field for these deliveries, you could show that signature with the virtual column.

Scott_Hall

@MultiTech_Visions The recipient of the boxes has to sign a form that shows intent to accept the boxes. That would mean that the signature would have to be pulled from a from built on another table. Is this possible and what would it look like in the expression?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Say you’ve got a table specifically for collecting signatures for accepting boxes; Signatures (for example); and let’s say it’s got the following columns:

• BoxSignatureID - the key (using uniqueid() for the initial value)
  • Order_Link - a ref to the Order table (this is the common field between all the child tables, they will all have a link to the related order so you can use this to find tings)
  • Signature
  • DateTime
  • etc.

If I wanted to pull the signature from this into any of the child tables there are a couple of ways you could do this, but they all involve the child table having a signature column and a formula to pull the signature from the signature table.

The formula would look something like this:

Lookup([_thisrow].[Related_Order], Signatures, Order_Link, Signature)

Where [Related_Order] is the ref column (in the child table) that connects it to the order table (or the parent table). So the formula says, take the Ref from [Related_Order] column and find the same value in the Order_link column of the Signatures table - and give me the Signature saved.

You could put this formula in a couple of different places, each carries with it some different barriers:

• App Formula - you could place the formula in the app formula space of the signature field (on the child tables)
    Barrier: you actually have to open/edit/save each individual record to import the signature (so if the signature is captured AFTER the child records are created, you’ll have to implement some way of updating the records).
  • Action - You could place the formula in an Action (data: set the values of some fields)
    Barrier: You still have to actually press the button to initiate the lookup, but this can be mitigated by the use of workflows and group actions.

My recommendation is NOT to do something like this, but instead put a signature field on the parent order table and store this data there; unless the delivery of each box in the child records will be delivered individually, then I would put the signature on the individual child tables and use an action system to disperse the signature to things delivered together.

Scott_Hall

@MultiTech_Visions What if I just used the same form for both collecting and transferring custody. So the same table held all the information. Use an “incoming” and “outgoing” toggle enum so the form shows the appropriate fields based on that selection. Then, when the “outgoing” fields of the form are completed an action can be created to apply the signature to the selected “incoming” records. Would that make sense? Is it good app hygiene so to speak?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

That’s what I would do.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager