Ability to upload table definitions, and column settings, as json files or yaml file

The amount of time it takes to change table settings, column valid if formulas, show if, etc… is so frustrating. It would be easier to define the setting in a json format and upload.

Status Not Planned
0 23 1,021
23 Comments
LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

In a way it’s possible actually. Provided you define key settings within a note in a JSON format with using the allowable AppSheet parameters before creating an app with that sheet or importing that sheet to AppSheet, AppSheet automatically read and set them in the column structure. There’s no documentation for this unfortunately and not sure if it’s advised or not. However, it’s possible up to a certain extent.

Daniel_Turner

Wait, are you saying add a note to a googlesheet, with the json in it? But this can only be done upon table creation, you can not use this method to update settings?

GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

I can’t find the main post I was thinking of, but here are a few others that mention this hidden feature.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Daniel_Turner
Something like this for example:

Attributes_4{ Type = Enum
TypeAuxData = {
  "EnumValues": [],
  "AllowOtherValues": true,
  "AutoCompleteOtherValues": true,
  "BaseType": "Text",
  "BaseTypeQualifier": "{\r\n  \"MaxLength\": null,\r\n  \"MinLength\": null,\r\n  \"LongTextFormatting\": \"Plain Text\",\r\n  \"IsMulticolumnKey\": false,\r\n  \"Valid_If\": null,\r\n  \"Error_Message_If_Invalid\": null,\r\n  \"Show_If\": null,\r\n  \"Required_If\": null,\r\n  \"Editable_If\": null,\r\n  \"Reset_If\": null,\r\n  \"Suggested_Values\": null\r\n}",
  "EnumInputMode": "Stack",
  "Valid_If": "=SELECT(Tags[DELIVERY],ISNOTBLANK([ID]))",
  "Error_Message_If_Invalid": null,
  "Show_If": null,
  "Required_If": null,
  "Editable_If": null,
  "Reset_If": null,
  "Suggested_Values": null
}

A couple of years ago, there was an Aussie community guy, Jarrod, who had a bit aggressive mood and therefore banned from the community and he was very much obbessed with this. He had nearly begged me to construct a script/webhook for it. After his ban from the community, he had worked with some Indy coders but later on I believe his account was totally banned in AppSheet.

GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

THAT’S why I can’t find the posts! I knew there were other posts about this.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@GreenFlux
Those posts were when this community was in Google Groups page. Not sure if the dev staff had imported all the google posts to discourse. Before that group was closing, I had created a publicly available Firebase webapp. Let me find the URL for ya. May be they are there - not sure though.

GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

I was in the Google + group for the last year or so. Are all those posts still accessible? It would be cool if they were archived somewhere.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@GreenFlux
I have found the gSheet back-end of the app he had added me that time (though the app seems doesn’t exist anymore) but I took a copy of the sheet and here it is…Check the JSONs in the column headers

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5
Jonathan_S

lol seriously.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@GreenFlux
Here is my firebase webapp for the oldie goldie G+ community. You need to sign in with your Google account but I believe I may need to add your email to the auth pane as well. If somehow you can’t, just DM me with your email address, I will add for sure.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

For what @Jonathan_S?

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

Yes, exactly

Provided you open the AppSheet Editor and directly regenerate the column structure, I believe your changes to those JSON notes will be applied. But updating column structure with this method could be quite messy and tricky. I have never tried myself.

Jonathan_S

Story about guy getting banned. must’ve been pretty disruptive

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Dang… Dredging up the past… Hehehe, love it…