ACTION: **Open a form to add a new row to another table using values from this row**

ACTION: Open a form to add a new row to another table using values form this row

Currently, the only actions available that are related to this are:

• Open a form to add new row to this table
  • Add a new row to another table using values from this row

Limitations of the available actions:

• Open a form to add new row to this table* can only add to the current table
  • Add a new row to another table using values from this row will not work if all the required columns of the other table is not assigned

Currently available solution:
Use Open another view within this app action and utilize the LINKTOROW() deep link expression. See sample below:

USE CASE:
Although this is possible using the given solution above, adding this as a readily available action will make it more intuitive for developers.

An example situation is that if the current table doesn’t have all the needed columns to supply to all the required columns of the other table.
By allowing to open a form first (instead of adding to row of the other table directly) will allow the app user to supply required information of the other table.

With this feature enhancement, a UI will be presented to the developer.

The screenshot above is for the Add a new row to another table using values from this row action. I am requesting for that same UI but instead of adding to the destination table directly, I want to open a form to allow user to make a few more edits before saving it to the table.

And no, adding to row then opening the form can’t work because that’s assuming that the row has already been added successfully before being able to open the form to edit that record. As mentioned, the user needs to supply some required fields that is not available form the current table 1’s row.

Status Open
12 19 2,879
19 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

As far as I correctly understand your requirement, you can achive it using the existing expressions.

Just use linktoview expression and direct to the form view for another table.

If you have

Table1
Table2

then from view with table1, you add action to open new form for Table2

The expression is just

linktoview(“Table2_Form”)

this will open the new form for table2 from Table1 view to add new row.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

Yes, but that will only show you a blank form for Table 2.
The idea is to copy certain values from existing row of Table 1 to certain fields of the new form of Table 2, then allow user to manually supply other fields not assigned from Table 1.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

That is the thing LinktoForm deep expression will do for you.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

Thanks for your response.
You may have missed this from my post, but I already mentioned that the LINKTOFORM is an available solution.

This post is not a quesiton but a Feature Request to make it even easier - so the same result can be achieved faster, without having to create that expression.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I m not sure what your point here to request for the new feature while you have solutions with you.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

My point here is what I’ve already said

Is there a rule that we cannot suggest further enhancements to available solutions, if we think it would be easier to use?

You’re saying that I should just settle for whatever is the available solution provided by AppSheet? Even if I feel there is an easier way if they can just provide that suggested feature enhancement?

I don’t get your point with that comment.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

You are absolutely right, there is no limitation or rule to post any request here, but I was just realistic to offer any possible solution to help your life easier to deal with Appsheet, that s it.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

And I appreciate that. Thanks.

As I’ve mentioned in my Feature Request, there is already an existing solution and I know it. Otherwise, I should have posted a question instead of a feature request.

I am just suggesting to AppSheet to have a feature enhancement to make it even easier, as typing this expression didn’t feel so efficient.

LINKTOFORM(“Requests_Form”,
“Rep Code”, [_THISROW].[Rep Code],
“No. of MIDs”, “Single MID”,
“MID”, [_THISROW].[MID],
“Legal Name”, [_THISROW].[Legal Name],
“DBA Name”, [_THISROW].[DBA Name],
“Contact Person”, [_THISROW].[Contact Person],
“Contact Number”, [_THISROW].[Contact Number],
“Email Address”, [_THISROW].[Email Address],
“Docs URL”, [_THISROW].[Docs URL]
)

Where as this is possible for a similar Action behavior:

The screenshot above is for the Add a new row to another table using values from this row action. I am requesting for that same UI but instead of adding to the table 2 directly, I want to open a form.

And no, adding to row then opening the form can’t work because that’s assuming that the row has already been added successfully before being able to open the form to edit that record. As mentioned, the user needs to supply some required fields that is not available form the current table 1’s row.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Yeah, this last post really should have been the original post. Your original post made no sense at all; I agree with everything @tsuji_koichi said.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

The only difference from this last post vs the original post is the image screenshots.
But I’m sorry if it didn’t make sense to you.

I guess most people really are visual types. And some people also just don’t have the luxury of time to read all through the detailed explanation in paragraph forms.

I added the images to the original post to satisfy both of your understanding. Thanks.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

Now, to help me avoid making my future posts non-sense to people like you,
please help me which parts of my post did not make sense.

Let me dissect it part by part:

PART 1

Which part of this did not make sense?

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

If you could share your wonderful intelligence and tell me which parts made my post non-sense (PART 1, 2, 3, 4?), then it would be highly appreciated.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

“and utilize the LINKTOROW() deep link expression” ​is not what you example shows. LINKTOROW() does not occur.

Your example literally just demonstrates the App: got to another view in this app with a LINKTOFORM() expression as a target. You failed to explain how your proposal differs from exactly that.

"Original row1", "Target row1" makes no sense, as nothing you’ve said suggests anything about copying rows. Maybe you meant column?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Literally exactly what App: got to another view in this app with a LINKTOFORM() expression as a target does.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

Which is why there is this part

I verbally said it possible using the given solution above. So there is no difference that I needed to explain, other than it will make it more intuitive for developers.

===========

Of course LINKTOROW does not occur, because I want to open a form to make a new entry. There is no row to link to as the row does not yet exist in the other table.

===========

This is the LinkToForm expresion format, so it does makes sense.
However, this statement of yours is now where I understand where you’re coming from.
I’ve edited my title to be
ACTION: Open a form to add a new row to another table using values from this row

That’s what I’ve missed. Thanks.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

And just to clarify once again.

My Feature Request is not to ask for a solution that doesn’t exist yet.
It’s to request an enhancement which will make it easier compared to the current solution available already.