Actions Enhancements

I use an action in my app that sets the date of [date next service] to today()+1. I select from a deck view the records I want to apply the action to. Works great. But some times I want to set the date to something other than today()+1…like “next Tuesday” etc… It would be much more intuitive to be able to select the records from the deck view, ask for the action to call up a date picker come that allows you to select any date you want. Appsheet already knows that field is a date field so why not just cut right to it? It is miles more flexible and useful than a static action.

Additionally this method would be useful for date fields, enum list fields etc…

Status Open
0 6 253
6 Comments
Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Your request is somewhat jumbled and could use clarifying. It sounds like you just want to know how to select “next Tuesday”:

(EOWEEK(TODAY()) + 3)
Scott_Hall

Nope. Sorry if it was confusing but your interpretation is my point. Actions are static. You can create an action for today() +1 or +2 or +3 and you have 3 actions clogging things up and still never have full flexibility. Instead of static actions why not just click on the action and allow a date picker to come up? That way you have ultimate flexibility to choose whatever date you want.

In my case I select multiple records in the deck view and apply the action (from the 3 dot menu in the upper right hand corner of the browser) that sets the date to the predefined action expression. My suggestion is to just allow for a date picker to pop up that lets me select any date I want and apply it to the selected records.

I hope that came across this time.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Once upon a time we were close to getting an action with a pop up for light data entry…

Scott_Hall

@Grant_Stead You said it best. “Actions with a pop up for light data entry.” This would add a lot of power and flexibility to our apps. If there is any way to breath life back into this idea, I would be happy to participate.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

The closest thing to this is a “linktoform” that takes you to a stripped back version of the form. But, this still takes the user away from the big picture, which can make them lose context.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager